2002 Club Car DS - Series - Project Started

JB1878

So I have went all in, so to speak on my cart project. I ordered the Navitas 440A Controller and 48v Motor for my cart, GTW 6" Lift kit, 14" Bravo Matte Green wheels w/ Nomad tires, HD solenoid, new F-R-N switch...... Lithium (probably ECO) to come. Planning to get the functionality and operation in check, then start the body make over customization. Any tips or tricks or suggestions are welcome. I ordered the parts from a local dealer (not a club car but they helped greatly) they are work neighbors and very helpful. I choose to do business with them because of the help they have given me since I bought this cart and tried to get it "up to speed" (pun intended). I'm pretty sure they think I'm crazy for the modifications on an old cart, however this is my hobby, working on things and learning and making them custom to me. LOL

Attached a photo of pre modifications and will update everyone as I go. I have received a lot of tips and help already from the group and really appreciate it.

Only downside is that the Navitas guy does not think the series carts will go very fast (I'm hoping close to 20 mph) with these upgrades do to being a "Series" or Golf course cart and they were not made that way. I guess the transaxle (or whatever you call it is geared for torque, not speed) However, it's not moving well as it stands, so a new motor, controller had to happen, but it will have plenty of torque I am told!

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 4

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The top speed will be determined by what motor you are installing. I haven’t heard of different gear ratios being used, they use a different motor that spins slower on the fleet models. I’d recommend just doing everything at once it will be a lot easier to install the new parts and do the wiring with the body removed, so if you’re going to do that anyway may as well do that first. DS can be tricky there’s lots of screws hidden all over and they like to corrode because they go through aluminum so dissimilar metal corrosion happens. If the hardware looks rusty apply penetrating oil to help get it out. Also the tiny screws that hold the aluminum outer dash ring you don’t want to remove them completely just loosen enough to unclamp the body. Can be almost impossible to get those screws lined back up if you take them out.

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
You can't go wrong with the ECO lithium battery. You will see increases in torque, speed and range over even a good set of Trojan LA batteries. Your cart will lose weight and you will never have to add water or worry about getting it on the charger immediately after every little bit of use. I use my cart for many short drives and sometimes don't have the charge for a week or so. Get the bundle deal with the on board charger, 12v power supply, SOC/Voltmeter/ ammeter gauge (yes one gauge does all that) and the 120v charger port so you just plug a normal 120vac cord into it. Those taller wheels will reduce torque slightly but you will pick up speed. I believe your cart is geared at 12:1 like most DS (mine is) so I am not sure why he said your cart would not have the same speed as others. I get 20mph with 2 people and when its all said and done yours will probably be faster.

JB1878

The top speed will be determined by what motor you are installing. I haven’t heard of different gear ratios being used, they use a different motor that spins slower on the fleet models. I’d recommend just doing everything at once it will be a lot easier to install the new parts and do the wiring with the body removed, so if you’re going to do that anyway may as well do that first. DS can be tricky there’s lots of screws hidden all over and they like to corrode because they go through aluminum so dissimilar metal corrosion happens. If the hardware looks rusty apply penetrating oil to help get it out. Also the tiny screws that hold the aluminum outer dash ring you don’t want to remove them completely just loosen enough to unclamp the body. Can be almost impossible to get those screws lined back up if you take them out.
That’s exactly the info I was hoping for. 👍

JB1878

You can't go wrong with the ECO lithium battery. You will see increases in torque, speed and range over even a good set of Trojan LA batteries. Your cart will lose weight and you will never have to add water or worry about getting it on the charger immediately after every little bit of use. I use my cart for many short drives and sometimes don't have the charge for a week or so. Get the bundle deal with the on board charger, 12v power supply, SOC/Voltmeter/ ammeter gauge (yes one gauge does all that) and the 120v charger port so you just plug a normal 120vac cord into it. Those taller wheels will reduce torque slightly but you will pick up speed. I believe your cart is geared at 12:1 like most DS (mine is) so I am not sure why he said your cart would not have the same speed as others. I get 20mph with 2 people and when its all said and done yours will probably be
Honestly 20mph is all I’m hoping for, anything over that is gravy! Yes, the bundle is what I’m looking to get. Thanks for the info and advice!

JB1878

Here is some progress. I was planning on the DC to AC conversion however was advised some extra mods would have to be made because my cart is a Series cart and did not have IQ setup. So I got a 10HP DC motor to simplify, Navitas 440a on the way, and the ECO bundle coming also. Planning on matching the paint to the matte green Bravo wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpeg
    IMG_2187.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 12

JB1878

So I have installed the Navitas 440a dc controller, ECO Battery kit, New motor, heavy duty solenoid, etc. I powered up the battery, connected to the controller through Bluetooth. And………. The app is not detecting any change from the FRN switch when I move it. I get a buzzer sound when I switch to reverse, and a clicking of the solenoid when in Forward and press the pedal down. I have been careful ”I thought“ to plug everything in where it goes. Any thoughts on where to start? the FRN is new and has a slightly different look on the micro switch closet to the unit.

JB1878

image.jpg
Does anything jump out? Bottom right are the 2 left over wires (fuse, and black) they are just laying on the blue wire for reference. Somewhere I read the yellow wire is supposed to go to the B - but it told me to plug it into the harness on the controller.

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
This is from another thread.

i just bypassed mine on 97 series DS. The instructions out there are for the Sepex, or regen carts. Series is very easy. The yellow wire you see in the picture is the negative feed to the computer. Cut it within a few inches of the OBC and run it back to the B- of the controller. Without the negative, it will not power on and is dead. Now cut the black wire coming from the charging port and run it directly to pack negative to allow non PowerDrive chargers to work. I replaced my PowerDrive charge port with a Nema-15 male plug so I can plug an extension directly in for my onboard charger, so I just cut the gray wire at the OBC

JB1878

You have a series cart the controller doesn't know if it's in forward or reverse so it's not going to show it. Is the solenoid clicking? You have to add a ground wire to it to bypass the OBC.
After a call to Navitas yesterday to discuss my issues, they explained exactly what you just said about the app not knowing forward and reverse, key switch etc. Added the correct motor to the app and updated firmware. It all worked as it should! It’s scooting now! Thanks for all the help, the wiring had me perplexed but everything other than the black wire from the old charging port was hooked up correctly. I had forgot to do that. Next step, getting the body painted. Hard part is done! Thanks agin everyone.

Notsoslim

Cartaholic
Congrats
everything other than the black wire from the old charging port was hooked up correctly
I trust you are using the onboard charger and the 120 AC plug receptacle that came with the ECO bundle

What kind of speed and torque are you getting out of your new system?