2001 EZGO TXT Has Power But No Propulsion

usdave

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 EZGO TXT (Customized and purchased in 2003). Our cart has always worked fine and worked fine the last time I used it before letting is sit. It sat without charging for over a year. When I went to charge it recently the positive terminals on all the batteries were swollen so I got all new batteries and installed them. I took pictures of all the connections and I am sure everything is hooked up the way it was. The cart charges. When I turn on the key and put it in F or R I get a reading on the battery meter of a full charge. I have 37V across the 6 batteries. When I press the pedal, there is a click from underneath the floorboard and the controller LED blinks green 4 times, then illuminates solid green...and when the pedal is fully depressed the LED turns yellow. According to the Alltrax AXE series manual, this indicates that the controller is setup for EZGO ITS and has no errors. I had a new FNR switch installed a few years ago. I have a spare solenoid that I also tried, but that did not change the outcome. The other parts are ~20 years old.

Thanks in advance for any help and I am happy to go gather more data if needed. I have a multimeter and I know how to use it. :)

-Dave

Rstaley

Cartaholic
Alltrax makes a great controller and one of the reasons they’re great is because they try to steer you toward any problems. The fact that you have the four green flashes indicates that the controller is happy with the logic side of the circuitry. The LED turning yellow (or orange) with the throttle fully depressed indicates that the controller is recognizing the Inductive Throttle Senor’s position, so in my opinion, your issue must be on the high energy side (not the logic side). I would start by putting your meter between B- (lowest point int eh battery pack) and M- (which is marked on the controller) and making sure that it goes from B+ volts to B- as the throttle is depressed (37 volts to 0 volts). If it does, that means the controller wants to go, so you must have a disconnect in the F/R wiring, wiring to the motor (these are notorious for breaking wires just behind the passenger’s seat where they wrap around the frame to get to the motor), or even a brush stuck in the motor (tap on it and see what happens). Good luck, Ron.

usdave

Ron,

When I take a reading between M- and B- on the controller, the initial reading is 8v and when the accelerator pedal is depressed all the way, the reading slowly increases to about 12v. If that is not the correct contact point that you meant by "B-", I am not sure what the "lowest point in the battery pack" means. Thanks for the help.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
When you consider the battery pack, it consists of a set of batteries in a series configuration. They are connected from the lowest point in the pack, called B- to the highest point in the pack which is called B+.

So, if you measure with your negative robe connected to B- and your positive probe connected to M- on the controller, you should see the voltage go from B+ (37 volts or so) to 0 volts as you increase the position of the accelerator. Good luck, Ron.

golf-cart-battery-pack-wiring-diagram.png

usdave

Hi Ron,

Taking the reading, when I first press the pedal it starts at 4v and with the pedal all the way down, it climbs really slowly and maxes out just under 12v at 11.76v. Pictures attached for sanity. Am I doing it correctly? Thank you, Dave

B-toM-.jpg
max-read.jpg

Rstaley

Cartaholic
Wow!!! Those are about the strangest readings that I have ever heard of with an AXE controller. I’d certainly double check each connection to the controller and motor, but other than that, the only thing I can come up with is a bad controller. Did anything unusual happen when installing the batteries (like an arc or spark by accidentally touching something somewhere)? Here is a drawing that I drew and have used for years to double check the wiring with. In the meantime, maybe someone else out there can jump in with a better idea.
1641160454278.png

usdave

I have an expert coming out today to connect to the serial port on the controller and figure it all out. I'll post the solution here once I know whats up. He seems to think the controller might have reverted to a "safe mode". Thanks for the help up to this point.