2001 EZGO TXT 295 Robins Engine Sluggish

Chubbysanchez

I have a 2001 EZGO TXT it has the robins 295 engine in it and it sluggish. I have replaced carburetor, fuel pump, plugs, fuel filter, adjusted valves. Compression on engine is about 155. Engine runs smooth and strong in neutral. When put in forward cart will barely go. All help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chubbysanchez

It’s not back firing. It just bogs down and will barely go. I jacked up the rear end and tires spin fine and motor runs good.

Chubbysanchez

All of that seems to be good. I’ve actually been running it without air filter since I’m only testing it on the paved road I live on.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I have had a few with plugged mufflers in the past, if ya can get the muffler bolts out of the manifold without twisting off, pull it off or back and try it.

ezgopluggedmuffler3.jpg

ezgopluggedmuffler1.jpg

Rstaley

Cartaholic
Hooray for Nubs. The plugged muffler trick can really happen. I wrote and article about one that I ran into in a book that I have on my website. The following is just a few lines of it:
A plugged up muffler can cause some real headaches in troubleshooting. First off, you aren’t expecting it. Especially with a cart with a 4 stroke engine. In the “old days” it wasn’t uncommon at all with 2 stroke engines. After all, they burn oil (mixed in the gas) and smoke, so why wouldn’t they eventually clog up a muffler? There were even procedures that recommended removing the muffler and “baking” it in your Barbecue to burn out the oily mess in there. I’m not joking. I’ll bet your neighbors would really enjoy that. I’d probably end up in jail if I tried that in the gated community that I live in. I just couldn’t believe it when I ran across one that was plugged up with a 4 stoke engine, but I guess I’m just lucky. I’ve only had one in the last 10 years, but I think it is worth mentioning. You can picture what would be the symptoms of a cart with a clogged muffler. Since it can’t breathe normally, it would run very sluggish, and would probably start OK (since the pressure in the exhaust had time to relieve itself while sitting, but as the pressure would build up again, it would begin to bog down. The old 4 stroke adage of Suck, Squish, Boom, and Blow tells the story. If it can’t Blow, it’s going to have trouble Sucking in the next “charge”.

thebeams417

Did you have any luck with the muffler? My cart is doing the same thing. IT slowing increases power when the wheels are off the ground. It will barely move when on the ground

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Did you have any luck with the muffler? My cart is doing the same thing. IT slowing increases power when the wheels are off the ground. It will barely move when on the ground
Are you sure its getting fuel, is carb clean and fresh gas?

Chubbysanchez

Are you sure its getting fuel, is carb clean and fresh gas?
Muffler seamed fine to me just putting my hand in front of the exhaust. I’m still fighting this cart, I did order a new coil that should be here Saturday.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I think Nubs last reply was to the new member who jumped in having a similar problem. That's why it's best for another member to start a new thread if there's a similar question to help with the confusion. :hattip:

Chubbysanchez

No the coil did not fix it. I found a green wire going to voltage regulator that was broken, I spliced it back together but still didn’t fix issue. I also pulled muffler off of cart and that didn’t help either. I’m taking to repair shop next week. I will let you guys know what the problem was later if it’s found.