2001 ez go gas

kpatt

I am a new member and have had a 2001 ez go for about 6 months now. A local shop put new belts/clutches/ect
on it and had it running good. It started to flood out real easy and foul plugs. I changed the igniter, had valves adjusted
new plugs, changed coil checked fuel pump, and just the other day bought a new carb. and it still flooded out easy. Today
I adjusted the linkage at the rear of the motor just above the drive axle and it seemed to help. My question is what does that
linkage do and how should it be set or adjusted. I have been fighting this problem for a while and the local shop has been stumped
on it too.Thanks...

kpatt

The mechanic checked the timing too the other day while he was working on the carb. and he said it was good. Ive done quite a bit to this cart except change the engine. Once I get it running it does ok but when its cools off it won't like to start easy and if you choke it you have messed up and it won't start until you take out the plugs and dry em off. When you hit the foot feed I have to let it run for a bit and then ease into it or im flooded.

It sounds like timing. If its off a notch or two it will act real weird. Are you sure the guy knows what he's doing?? Not to knock him at all but sometimes doing and saying are two different things!!

kpatt

yeah....he owns a golf cart shop in Rockwall texas....Mikes Motor Toys.....they are great and have helped me out alot on getting this thing up to snuff.....but this seems to have them stumped and I'm about ready to just put in a new motor. I have walked back to camp from deer hunting once and walked back home when sighting in my deer rifle on the back of our place and I'm bout tired of wondering if this thing is gonna leave me again....I carry tools and spark plugs around now.

He is a good guy that knows his stuff!!! But don't change your motor, it is something stupid that they are missing!!!! Even though they put all new components in it doesn't mean that they are all new working compnents..... I have seen it before!! I have went through the same thing before!!

kpatt

I bought it used off craigslist ....I should have bought from Mike but i did not find out he was there til I already bought the cart...I'm not sure if anyone has been into this motor but it is highly possible ..the timing cover had a direction mark on it as if someone had worked it over prior to me buying it. I hate to take it back in again and I keep tinkering with it myself....The cart does'nt smoke or use oil and when it runs it runs smooth...just likes to flood...got to be something small I've missed changing. Mike has given me some used parts and im thinking about trying a new coil instead of the used one.??By the way thanks for the replies so late at night ...really appreciate it!!

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
just because the timing marks line up does not always mean the cam is in time, there is a very small pin that locates the cam pulley to the cam and they do break off from time to time.

i agree, don't spend the money on an engine,, yet

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
MMT is a straight shooter...
thumbup.gif
Check the air filter, it's probably oil soaked from over filling the crank case on a lifted cart.
thumbup.gif

kpatt

checked the air filter and it did'nt have any oil on it. May take it back to MMT's and see if the timing can be tweaked or check the pin on the cam.??

kpatt

thank yall for the help....I will post the outcome when we figure out what's wrong...might heal someone else's headache down the line.
tip.gif