2001 E-Z-GO TXT High Voltage at the Battery

Bobdavis43

After replacing the voltage regulator on a 2001 E-Z-GO TXT it still has high voltage at the battery. Up to 18 volts at high engine rpm.

Zman

Cartaholic
Check your ground strap between engine, frame and battery. Is the voltage regulator china made?

Bobdavis43

I bought the voltage regulator new from Buggies Unlimited using the original part number. It had the original part number on it when I received it. The cart was in storage for 8 years at one time. I have owned it for 3 additional years.
I cleaned all of the connection and the ground on the battery side when I replaced the voltage regulator. I have not done so at the started itself.
Is it possible to have 18 volts coming back to the battery when starter generator should only output 15 volts max?

Zman

Cartaholic
The generator can put out 18 volts if needed, is the battery low on charge? Did you run it for several minutes to see if voltage drops. Try running another ground wire from battery neg to generator case and see if drops.

Bobdavis43

Its a new battery test at 12.67 volts. I cleaned the ground on the starter and the engine block, still 17 + volts.
then I jumper from the battery neg to the generator case, still has 17+ volts with the engine running. Does this give you more info
as to what is going on? Trying to decide if I need a new starter/generator? The new voltage regulator didn't seem to change anything.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check the green wire from the voltage regulator to the starter generator and make sure it's not grounding out any where. If the green wire looks good and everything is wired correctly I'd say it's the voltage regulator is causing the over charging issue.

Bobdavis43

this is a new voltage regulator. the green wire is fine I cleaned the contacts on both ends ( at he starter/generator and the voltage regulator end).
Is it possible to check the voltage regulator with my volt meter or is it too intermittent? I still show at least 17 volts at the battery with the engine running at moderate rpm.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Have you traced the green wire from end to end to make sure there's no bare spot touching metal? If the green wire grounds it will cause the generator to put out full voltage. Also it's possible the new voltage regulator is bad.

Rstaley

I’m with HotRod on the possibility of a bad new voltage regulator. I’ve had it happen a couple of times. All that the voltage regulator does, is to take the green wire (DF on the starter/generator) to ground. It, of course, does it in pulses that you can’t see with a meter, because they happen so fast, but they keep the “average” voltage output of the starter/generator at a level that is correct to do the proper charging without “cooking” anything in the process. If you take the green wire off of the voltage regulator and take it to ground with a jumper, as you increase the RPM of the engine, the starter/generator will put out its maximum output with a voltage of normally around 15 to 16 volts. Obviously that would be detrimental to the battery if sustained, but it will let you know if the voltage/regulator is doing its job. I’ve never seen one get into the 17 volt range, but who knows? Obviously something isn’t limiting it. A direct short of the green wire to ground could be a good possibility.

Bobdavis43

Thanks for your advise. The ends of the green are good and it is in a black wire
sleeve with other wires is why I feel it is not grounded.

I will run a jumper wire to replace the green wire in the morning. This should show us if the green wire is grounded
somewhere. I will get back to this post in the morning, after I finish my jumper test on the green wire.

I truly appreciate all of the support and advice of those who have answered my post. It can't be easy trouble shooting
a problem where your not their.

Bobdavis43

I had a toggle jumper I used to replace the green wire. I disconnected the green wire at the starter and attached the jumper, then I attached the other end of the jumper to the short green wire on the new voltage regulator.
Sorry to say I still have 17 volts with engine running.
When my problem started, I replaced the voltage regulator with a new one from, Buggies Unlimited, having the same part number as the manual
showed. It was identical in appearance as the old one in the picture with the same part number I was careful to install the new voltage correctly replacing one wire at a time.

Attachments

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I can't wait to hear what the problem turns out to be. I've run into a half dozen bad new regulators in the past couple years on other things. The stuff made in china today is junk. [and expensive] [try getting suppliers to warranty new electrical parts]

Bobdavis43

With a jumper to DF at the starter an hooked to the green wire on the voltage regulator I get 17 volts. With nothing from the voltage regulator I just get battery voltage. Must be a Bad voltage regulator?

Rstaley

Remove the jumper so that NOTHING is connected to the DF terminal on the starter/generator and then see what you get when the cart is running. If there is nothing connected to DF, the voltage regulator is not in the charge circuit any more, so the voltage at the battery should not go up at all. The green wire from the voltage regulator provides a current path through the voltage regulator for the generator winding in the starter/generator. With that disconnected, there should be no increase in the voltage as the starter/generator spins. If there is, forget about the regulator, it isn't in the circuit any more. There would have to be a short from DF to ground inside of the starter/generator (in my opinion).

Bobdavis43

With out the green wire connected to DF the voltages stays at 12 volts. Why then when the wire is connected to DF does the voltage go up to 17
volts. Isn't it the job of the voltage regulator to keep the voltage around 14 volts? Do I have a bad voltage regulator.

Rstaley

Yes. You appear to have a bad regulator. It is not regulating. It is acting as if the green wire is shorted to ground. That is how they go bad a lot of times. They can also go bad by just opening up and not supplying any path for current through the generator wind so there is no increase at all. Sounds to me like you've pinned it down to a bad regulator. As Patrick L said earlier, lots of us are having this "new part is bad right out of the box" issue. Hopefully whoever you bought it from will provide a warranty.