2001 Club Car Hit Curb

Van

Trying to inspect the front end to see what is bent and needs to be replaced. Wheel is so far out of alignment that the tire rubs against the spindle. Don't understand why the hub won't come off. Would prefer doing the repairs myself as the nearest dealer is 100+ miles, but maybe I'm out of my league (frame bent?). Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Van

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

May not be the best pics. Let me know if you need something more.

Also, read the the wheel hub should come off fairly easy. Tried wacking it pretty hard with a hammer, but no luck.

Thanks for your time and help.

TDAWG

Man that spindle axle must be bent pretty bad for that hub not to slide right off. Another thing that I have found to happen when Club Car DS carts hit a curb hard is that it will bend the "Delta shock and gear support." It will usually bend where the A-arm is connected to it at the bottom. Just a slight bend will throw everything out of wack. You might have to compare it to another cart that is not bent to be able to see the difference in shape if there is one. It would be helpful to remove the front cowl from the cart so you can see everything better. Also after you get through replaceing parts, you will need to completely re-align your front end.

Van

I wouldn't be against replacing all the parts that could possibly have been damaged (hub, spindle, leaf spring, etc, etc ???) if only I could be reasonably certain that this would fix the problem. The cart is a recent purchase and from the condition of the wheel bearings, it hasn't been maintained too well.

Van

Sounds like I'm in deep doo-doo, TDAWG, and the mechanics might be more than I can handle. Thanks for the info.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
I'm guessing the spindle isn't bent. The bearing is probably frozen/rusted to the shaft. Soak it with penetrating oil and use a pickle fork/ ball joint tool to drive between the hub and axle.
twocents.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Use a rubber mallet and drive the hub off of the axle. You can also use a 2x4 and a hammer. Once you drive the hub off, the seal and bearing will be left on the axle. You will be able to see what's holding it from coming off. If the spindle is bad, you can find take offs for cheap. You might have to order bearing and seal, but that isn't bad either.
tip.gif
I have got take off spindles. If ya need one, let me know. You pay shipping.
thumbup.gif

Van

Will try the hammer and 2x4 method tomorrow when I have two more hands and one more brain to help me. Will get back to you. Thanks.

Van

OK - finaly got the hub off. Bent spindle was definitely the problem. Also had trouble with the bolt holding the spindle to the ball joint so the spindle may have been bent there too. Everything elso looks ok, but as EZ-GOnewild says, I am on a new learning curve.

I plan on replacing the hub and spindle and see if this puts everything right. So... while I've got the front end at this stage of disassemble, is there any other tasks I should do? After all, the cart is 10 years old and doesn't appear to have had the best of care.

Thanks to all for your help.