1999 G16A Starts With Pedal But Doesn't Always Move

Boatcephus

Just picked up our first cart, 1999 Yamaha G16A wanted Gas so I could apply small engine repair experience to it. Seller was up front that "the gas pedal is tricky". Although our test drive went well and I didn't experience any issues engaging the drive. Got it home and it's proving to be about 50/50 whether it will move or not!

The cart will start right up with the pedal, but often won't budge Forward or Reverse. Try again later, maybe it will move, if not - repeat until it moves. The Seller said it is a known issue with the gas pedal.

If this is true, could someone provide a link to the likely areas of concern?

I need to look at things some more in the daylight, but I'm wondering if the pedal linkage may be fine and that there may instead be a problem with that drive clutch engaging. I'm new to the CVT game, however. The Seller admitted to no mechanical ability, so I'm skeptical that the pedal itself is actually the problem.

Thanks!

Zman

Cartaholic
Okay is the brake pedal releasing when you push on gas pedal?
Does the engine rev up but cart does not move?

Boatcephus

Thanks for the response! The brake pedal does release when you press the gas pedal - I see this is Yamaha's Parking Brake setup.
The engine actually doesn't seem to rev very high at all during the attempts where it fails to move. I don't know what is normal with these so I don't know if that's a "Cause" or the "Effect" of the root issue. It's sure not like mashing the gas of my Rhino in Neutral!

This cart has had a hard life, the previous owner used it to push around midget sprint cars at a track and I'm betting there's a lot of worn down components that could use a look.

I like working on things and knew this would be a new challenge. What other info can I provide? Or, Troubleshooting steps to further isolate the issue?

Thanks!

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I was curious about the same thing. When you say it starts up but won’t move, does the motor just “bog down” without enough power to move the cart, or does the motor just continue to run at low speed (not trying to move the cart) and therefore not exercise the clutches, or does the motor rev up and the cart acts like it isn’t in gear? I have never heard of a “pedal problem” with a G16 other than not releasing the hill brake (as has already been mentioned).

Boatcephus

I will have to pay careful attention to it this evening - but I would say on the occasions when it doesn't move, the motor does not climb in RPMs. I am wondering if that drive belt is too loose. The motor also seems to do a significant amount of bouncing when attempting to take off. It's difficult to watch this with the seat up, while also trying to drive forward, lol. I've thought about jacking up the back so I could safely watch the clutch, but I bet taking the load off the driveline impacts the troubleshooting.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
The first thing you need to do, is just take the seat off, put the cart in Neutral, hit the accelerator and see what happens. The drive clutch (front) should (as you increase the RPM), go from a small pulley to a large pulley. And, the driven clutch ((back) should go from a large pulley, to a small pulley. That is how the torque conversion works (to change the gear ratio). You are right. Everything might change with a load on it (putting it in gear), but at least you can see what is happening without the load. I have a small piece of plywood that I can sit on that lets me drive the cart, while exposing the engine and clutch area enough that I can watch what is happening while driving it. You might have to resort to a similar approach. If either clutch sticks in its flexed position (doesn’t come back to its home position while stopped), then it’s like trying to start off in high gear, and the engine can’t supply enough power to get things going. If on of the clutches won’t “do their thing” once the RPM comes up, the cart should still start to move, but won’t come up to speed. You’ve got to eliminate clutch issues first (in my opinion). Good luck, Ron.

Boatcephus

I think you are right, think it's the drive clutch sticking. I bet that's why the motor starts to shake when it attempts to engage. Like trying to start an ATV out in 5th gear. I know this guy used the cart to push around race cars and pull them out of the mud, so he has burned up that clutch using the cart like a UTV. The pedal with a "sweet spot" was probably his cover story, or he's just clueless. Sigh. Guess I will order a new clutch assembly. I've watched a video doesn't look too hard. Question - Do I need to order the special "clutch pulling bolt" in order to get the clutch off easily? Or is there a Shadetree method that works just as well?

Boatcephus

Just a follow up if anyone finds this thread down the road and it matches your own issue - the solution to this issue was a worn out coil. Changed the coil and it starts and stops fine now. It was getting no (or sporadic) fire.
I ordered a clutch and changing tool but they are in the box still in case we need them. Did go ahead and change the belt.
Thanks for the suggestions!