1999 EZGO Floods and Backfires

rbdaves

Oh yeah: I also removed and sanded the ground wire terminals and the metal around the ground wire bolt. Don’t know if this is the solution or not. Just waiting to see if that friggin cart now behaves itself.

rbdaves

Now the question is not “why does it refuse to start?” but ”why does it backfire?”. My cart has had a low throttle backfire ever since I sent it in and the mechanic put in a new carb. I sent it back twice and the problem was never solved. There’s got to be a simple solution. Any ideas?

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I mentioned this in a previous answer but is the idle adjusted correctly? If the idle is set too high when the peddle shuts the motor off, it could cause backfire when stepping on the peddle again. If you back the idle screw all the way off until the throttle plate stops moving and then turn the idle screw in until the throttle plate just starts to move, that’s a good starting point. Keep in mind that unlike a normal setup where the engine keeps running at an idle a cart motor is continuously turning on and off depending on foot pedal position, at least on a factory setup. You could experiment with idle adjustment to see if it helps with the backfire. Just a thought but maybe you already tried this.

Tomd

Cartaholic
Now the question is not “why does it refuse to start?” but ”why does it backfire?”. My cart has had a low throttle backfire ever since I sent it in and the mechanic put in a new carb. I sent it back twice and the problem was never solved. There’s got to be a simple solution. Any ideas?
How much did you pay for the carburetor they installed ? I second what guitarman suggested also.

rbdaves

The Carburetor [E-Z -GO Carb 4 cyc, #90 jet (P)] cost $200. i’ll try adjusting the linkage today. I put 2 oz Sea Foam in with 1 Gal gas yesterday. Haven‘t used enough fuel to make a difference, yet. I will remove and clean carb. if linkage adjustment doesn’t solve problem. Also will tighten muffler bolts and replace any vacuum tubing that looks worn. I think backfiring is happening in the muffler.

rbdaves

I have removed the carburetor and cleaned it up. It was pretty clean and didn’t need much of anything. I have a question on the air cleaner box. The inlet tube for the crank case vent line that comes from the bottom of the engine has a cramp in it. I am wondering if this belongs there. (See pic). I’m not sure if this crimp is necessary and because of the way this
connection is now shaped the 3/8” hose slips off pretty easily. I’m thinking that perhaps the clamp was over tightened and caused this inlet to collapse

Attachments

• 0359003A-E121-45EF-B62F-6871457FD6A1.jpeg
    0359003A-E121-45EF-B62F-6871457FD6A1.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 4

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
It looks like it got crimped. It should be round. I would try forcing a small deep well socket into the hole. A screwdriver first to open it up.

rbdaves

I removed the carburetor yesterday and cleaned it up put it back in and now the thing won’t start at all. The pulsar ow is registering nothing. I am thinking that is what needs to be replaced. I have looked around for a replacement and there are a lot of them and they are priced anywhere from over $100 to a little over 20. Any recommendations as where I can get one That isn’t made in China and doesn’t work or whatever?

Tomd

Cartaholic
I removed the carburetor yesterday and cleaned it up put it back in and now the thing won’t start at all. The pulsar ow is registering nothing. I am thinking that is what needs to be replaced. I have looked around for a replacement and there are a lot of them and they are priced anywhere from over $100 to a little over 20. Any recommendations as where I can get one That isn’t made in China and doesn’t work or whatever?
When you Ohm the pulser it shows nothing ? You got your meter set correct ?

rbdaves

I set the meter for ohms before I check the pulsar. I am expecting 19 to 21 ohms and I’m getting nothing. Tomorrow I am going to trace wiring just to make sure that 12 V is getting where it supposed to.

Tomd

Cartaholic
What scale you got the meter set on ? Also make sure you don't have a break in the wiring where it goes in pulser . Remove it and wiggle the wires when you test it. They are easy to take off.

rbdaves

The Wiggle will do. My meter doesn’t have a scale for Ohms, only a position that looks like an upside down “U” with shoes.

Attachments

• 95AD850D-319D-47A3-9190-8259E6FCDD21.jpeg
    95AD850D-319D-47A3-9190-8259E6FCDD21.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 4

Tomd

Cartaholic
The Wiggle will do. My meter doesn’t have a scale for Ohms, only a position that looks like an upside down “U” with shoes.
Your meter has Auto-ranging so you should be fine. Remove that pulser and check the wiring where it goes into the pulser. I have seen them with bad wires on them. Check where it plugs in at plastic connection also. Otherwise you will need a new pulser if you get no reading at all . I can contact you on where you can buy an OEM.

rbdaves

High winds today (SoCal). As soon as I can get outdoors again I will be tracing wiring and will include wiggling the pulsar lead with multimeter attached. Thanks for your help & interest.

Tomd

Cartaholic
High winds today (SoCal). As soon as I can get outdoors again I will be tracing wiring and will include wiggling the pulsar lead with multimeter attached. Thanks for your help & interest.

You welcome. Let us know when you get time to work on it. I think you can get this cart back running again.

rbdaves

It is now several days later and I have determined that the problem is electrical. I’ve decided the pulsar needs replacement. Before I go out and buy the part, I am going to remove the flywheel cover and inspect the pulsar and wiring