1999 EZ-GO TXT 36 Volt Quit Running While Being Driven

Bravo 1/14

Hey everyone New Member To This Awesome Site! I have a 1999 EZGO TXT 36 Volt that quit running while being driven...hasn’t worked since. Batteries are good (Pack Voltage 38.8v). All battery cables are verified clean and in good working order. Solenoid clicks when the pedal is pressed ( although that doesn’t necessarily mean that its any good). I am looking for a troubleshooting sequence to to follow step by step. So far everything I’ve seen begins with 2001 models. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Patrick L

Cartaholic
There should be info under resources. I think your cart should be the as up to 2001.5. There are changes to the 2001.5 and later models, but, I think the electrical systems are pretty much the same.

Do you have battery voltage to and from the solenoid ? Are the diode and resistor good ? To check voltage out of the solenoid I disconnect the resistor. Have you checked the fuse if yours has them. Does the reverse buzzer work ? I'm wondering if there is power to the F/R switch and if the connections there are good. Are the connections good at the controller and motor ?

Bravo 1/14

Hey Patrick thanks for the reply! Glad to know that info up to 2001 is the same. I've tested the solenoid, and i do have full pack voltage on the battery side....slightly less on the motor side. I did test without the resistor or diode (which ever one is attached to both of the big lugs on the solenoid.) The F/R switch was changed out not too long ago. The connections are clean, tight and appear to be in great shape. The reverse buzzer was not working when my neighbor brought it over, but the weird thing is after tinkering with it a bit i took a break for lunch and it just started buzzing on its own....I had left the key on and selector in reverse. The buzz alternated between loud and weak....moving the F/R switch to forward and back to reverse the sounds were a little different yet again. Thanks again for providing me with some help!

Bravo 1/14

Afternoon Fellas....I’m stumped and just not getting anywhere with this 1999 EZ-GO 36 volt series golf cart. I’ve gone through all the troubleshooting tips I could find on the resources tab.....cart still wont move. Here’s where I am at this point:

— 38.8V Pack Voltage
— All 6 Batteries Read 6.4v each
—Thoroughly Cleaned All Cables And Connections.....All Looks Really Good
— Tested The Motor Using The Procedure Found On This Site.....Motor Spins Freely
— Tested Solenoid.....Checked Out Good But Wasn’t Convinced.....Installed A New One....No Difference
— Troubleshooting The Controller per Curtis Controller Guidelines..... Couldn‘t Get The 12v-16v On Pin #2 (Black Wire) Disconnected The Black Wire From The ITS....Still Nothing.
— Swapped Controllers From An Identical Working Cart....Still Nothing

Any And All Help Would Be GREATLY Appreciated!!!

Thanks Guys!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Does the battery pack voltage drop when you press the throttle with the key on and the solenoid clicks? If so what does the voltage drop to? Was there any signs of heat on the forward and reverse switch board when you checked those cable connections?

Bravo 1/14

Hey HRC thanks for the quick reply. No voltage drop at all when the pedal is pressed. No signs of heat discoloration...everything was clean and tight. F/R switch was replaced no too long ago. (Old one melted the bottom post off)

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Make sure the connections are good on the wires in the small plug on the controller. It could also be a problem with the contacts in the forward and reverse switch. It's possible they aren't lined up correctly.

Bravo 1/14

I’ll check the wires in the harness to the controller and get right back to you. FYI....This cart was working fine with the new f/r switch....just driving along and just quit.

Bravo 1/14

HRC....Checked continuity on the 4 wires from ITS to controller....all good. Can the contacts shift around under normal operation?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've seen the contacts turn on the cam before if the switch ever got hot or they weren't tightened good. It doesn't happen a lot but it can.

Bravo 1/14

I’ve been looking at the wires in the back Of the key switch.....looks like someone has been in there before. Can you tell me what the voltages should be on each of the 4 terminals on the back of the switch? They are labeled L, B1, I, and the last one looks like D....its partly covered by the terminal itself.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the solenoid clicks when the key is on and you press the throttle the problem isn't the key switch or connections there. If it's a two position key switch which it should be there's 36 volts going to the switch.

Bravo 1/14

from the switch in the off position, there are 2 additional positions.....key on and the final position turns the lights on.
the L terminal shows 25 volts When key is off? Pack voltage on the other terminals when switching positions.