1998 Club Car DS Wont Move in Reverse or Forward

Captr

1998 Club Car DS 48 volt. Wont move reverse or forward. No buzzer sound. No click from solenoid volt meter still in the green. Batteries are 3 yrs old. Been sitting 10 months Charging with a Summit2 charger. 6.4, 7.4, all others 7.7 volts. Charger tries to charge it reaches 45.3 volts an throws a fault. Why?

MurphyGuy

You have 8 volt batteries or 6 volt? 6.4 volts on an 8 volt battery = dead battery. In fact, even at 7.7 volts, the bat only has about 10 or 20 percent left.

And if they're 6 volt cells, then 7.4 and 7.7 indicate something is wrong with them because they should never go that high.

Captr

Ok I need to start looking for new batteries. Without breaking bank are the 8 volt Duracell ok? I recently purchased a desulphator by pulse tech. I know that pulse technology is solid to use on keeping new batteries maintained. Life expectancy goes way up 3 to 5 times according to the research .No matter what brand the life expectancy will be much better than the originally intented. Trojans just seem to much for me. Where is the best bang for the buck. Thanks for helping . Any ideas are appreciated!

MurphyGuy

Ok I need to start looking for new batteries. Without breaking bank are the 8 volt Duracell ok? I recently purchased a desulphator by pulse tech. I know that pulse technology is solid to use on keeping new batteries maintained. Life expectancy goes way up 3 to 5 times according to the research .No matter what brand the life expectancy will be much better than the originally intented. Trojans just seem to much for me. Where is the best bang for the buck. Thanks for helping . Any ideas are appreciated!

That's BS.. The entire "refurbished battery" or "desulfate device" industry is a scam.

Never buy a used lead acid battery, never fall for anything that claims to desulfate the battery.

Take proper care of the batteries, keep the water topped up, and you'll get maximum life from them.

Captr

Not looking refurbish old batteries. Do you have any recommendations on batteries that won't break the bank?? How are those Duracell batteries for the price¿? Another brands I should consider?

MurphyGuy

The best are the Trojans but Duracell bats are fine.. My cart has them and I haven't had any issues. I won't replace them when they finally wear out though as I'll switch to lithium and build my own pack.

If you plan to do a lot of golf cart riding every day, you should probably spring for the Trojans. However, if you're like me on a small farm and daily use is generally less than a mile or two of riding around and then back to the charger in the evening, then the Duracells will be fine.

Trojans will be better if you plan on deep discharges.. but if your discharges are shallow, then the Duracells would hold up just as well.

Another consideration is physical abuse.. Stock golf carts can be a bumpy ride on uneven ground.. Here on the farm, even the driveway is bumpy. In such cases, I think the Trojan's would be better.. But if your cart has an upgraded suspension and larger (softer) tires that smooth the ride out, or if you're mostly driving on smooth roads or a golf course, then the Duracells would hold up just fine.

MurphyGuy

How long have you had you Duracell batteries?
I bought my golf cart from a friend of a friend who runs a very high end private golf course surrounded by million dollar homes.

My cart is a 2013 Precedent, the batteries are dated Dec 2018 so they are almost 3 years old. They replace the batteries every 5 years whether they need it or not. The carts at that golf course were maintained very well.. kept clean and in very good shape.

If the Duracell's couldn't survive 5 years of golf course use, they probably wouldn't have used them. But as I was saying, golf course use is easy riding.. smooth grass, easy life on the battery.
There's a big difference between off-road abuse where the bats are being jarred around, and running the cart on the road.