1998 Club Car DS Batteries Won't Charge

Johnson5848

I have a 98 Club Car DS 36 volt golf cart, when we got it the batteries were weak would charge them and they would die rather quickly. I checked the water in them and added some distilled water to all of them and now the charger wont turn on when plugged in. Seen the batteries were 5 years old so bought new ones and the charger still won't turn on.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Not sure a 98 has a tow run switch on 36 volt cart. Does cart run? There's a fuse on cart and a fuse on charger. I'd check those to start.. Also, should/could be a reset on front of charger @Diode should/ does know waaaay more than I.

Welcome to Cartaholics! Hope you get the answers you need. :hattip::usa:

Johnson5848

Yes cart runs and both fuses look ok just trying to find out why the charger quit working. So would it have a obc to reset?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Yes I'm guessing 3 also just trying to make sure there was no OBC and trying to define the cart

Patrick L

Cartaholic
Does it have a state of charge indicator ? If so what does it say ?

Have you tried charging the batteries with an automotive type charger ? If batteries are too low the cart chargers will not turn on.

Johnson5848

Don't have charge indicator, and yes have used a automotive charger but don't seem to get a full charge in them. The batterys were replaced in June with new ones. We we're thinking that with the old batteries , but even with new ones the charger won't turn on.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
The auto charger won't charge them, I wonder why. I'm assuming you're charging 2 batteries at a time, or, the charger is capable of a 6v charge. What amp rate are you trying and for how long ?
But, the batteries shouldn't need to be charged for too long before the cart charger should work. 1/2 charge should be fine.
There are some pretty good u-tube videos on repairing the chargers. The fuse on your charger looks good from the pic, but, have you checked it ?

Johnson5848

The auto charger does put a charge in them just don't last long and yes two batteries at a time. I've charge them for up to an hour and it seems to to about 60 percent and just stay there. the fuse on the charger and on the cart look fine.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I like to charge them slowly. 2-4 amps until they're full, it takes awhile. If you have a DVOM you can probably fix the charger.