1998 Club Car Carryall Cold Start Issue

Steve P

I have a 1998 Club Car Carryall with FE350 motor and it starts right up when cold but then the motor shuts down but the starter generator keeps turning and will restart after about 30 seconds. I never loose spark during this. It seems like a carburetor issue but have replaced carb with 2 others. Even went as far as installing an electric fuel pump with no change. Both fuel filters are always full. Let me add that once this is warmed up it runs like a top?? Checked compression and it is the same cold or hot. Replaced all fuel lines. I am looking for someone with a miracle fix. Very frustrated. Please help Thanks in advance

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Are you using the choke when the engine is cold? What you describe sounds like it's starving for fuel when the engine is cold.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Next time it stops running when cold try the choke and see if it starts up without cranking over for 30 seconds.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A lot of members here have had nothing but problems with golf cart carburetors from eBay and Amazon. Are you sure they're FE350 carburetors and not FE290's? I've had good luck with the carburetors that Golf Cart Tire Supply sells and haven't had any complaints about them here on the forum.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm out of ideas on this. I was going to recommend checking the pickup in the gas tank but if that was the problem the golf cart wouldn't run fine after it warms up. Are you sure the choke is working like it should?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is the choke working? Most golf carts will need to be choked when the engine is cold, some more than others. If the cart runs fine once it's warmed up the only thing I can think of is it's to lean when cold.

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
when its cold try taking the air cleaner off and crank it over and choke it with your hand and see if it fires