1997 EZGO

Bismark

My 1997 EZGO runs fine but every once in a while, when I step on the gas, nothing happens. I tap the motor with a hammer, and it takes off and won't do it again that day. My auto experience would say that the solenoid in the starter is going bad. Can I make the same assumption with the EZGO ?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
it sounds like sticking or worn brushes in the starter, the solenoid is mounted on the cart and not in the starter.

Bismark

Thanks for the reply, sounds like cart solenoid cannot stick like a car.

Might this be related to the the lockout on the brake ?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the solenoid can stick like a car but the solenoid is not mounted on the starter so the taping of the starter would have no affect on the solenoid, but would on the brushes. i'm not sure what you mean by lockout? the park/hill brake is not connected to the starting system.

Bismark

I thought maybe the brakes had an electric lockout switch like on lawn mowers. Sounds like I need to replace the brushes in the starter & if that doesn't solve it, move on to the solenoid.

The frequency has now increased to having to tap the motor about 3-4 times a day. Some times just dropping the seat will make it run. Guess I'll figure out where the starter is, pull it, and do the brushes. thanks.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
check all the connection's first before you pull it, the ground may be bad on the starter. i doubt it but its worth a check.

divot61

nubs has a good point on connections, wire brush them, file them, anything to get clean metal. it is a "97" and it has probably been cycled thousands of times. i think the starters on that year has the rubber covers on the brushes and very easy to get to, pull one of the rubber covers off and shine a flashlight down in it and try to see how much of the brush you still have. if the brush is anywhere close to the wire the brushes are toast
yucky.gif