1997 Club Car Turns Over But Won't Start

markomilo

I have a 1997 Club Car and when I press the gas pedal it turns over but it won't start. If I feather the pedal back and forth it starts but then it stops again and continues to turn over. I have replaced the fuel pump, spark plug, fuel lines, carb, fuel filter and battery. Any help or diagnosis tricks would be appreciated. I am trying to fix this myself and not spend a ton of money.

Zman

Cartaholic
What happens if you use a little starting fluid? Does it fire right up and stall?
What are the valve clearances?
Does it have good bright orange spark?
Get back with answers.

Bansheetaz

What happens if you use a little starting fluid? Does it fire right up and stall?
What are the valve clearances?
Does it have good bright orange spark?
Get back with answers.
Orange spark is weak. You want blue spark on any ignition system

Bansheetaz

I can give mine a shot of ether and it will take off so its definitely a lean condition. I have new carb fuel lines, filters and fuel pump. Pump is working good. Need more ideas. Ive found several folks with the same problem but no answers

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the fuel pump is pumping gas out of the fuel line at the carburetor and it starts with starting fluid then it must not be getting gas in the float bowl.

Bansheetaz

Fuel bowl is full. Im beginning to think ive got an exhaust valve hanging open creating a partial EGR effect when the engine is warm. And when it gets running the valve starts sealing enough. This is very odd. Im going to do a leak down on it

Zman

Cartaholic
I would check the throttle plate. Does it open with the governor cables correctly? How about the plastic spacer between carb and intake , are any gaskets blown out?

Bansheetaz

I would check the throttle plate. Does it open with the governor cables correctly? How about the plastic spacer between carb and intake , are any gaskets blown out?
Gaskets all been replaced. Ive scrutinized those spacers thinking they qere cracked or something. Throttle plate is timed right. Tried 2 different carbs one was new. Ive sprayed carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks . Same problem. Sometimes it will start and die as throttle is applied. Then will start hard with choke. Everything up to the cylinder head is either new or been replaced. Its getting unmetered air from somewhere. Either head gasket or valves maybe seats. Maybe the exhaust valve is burnt a bit since the clearance was zero when i checked it. Its the strangest thing

Bansheetaz

Ive definitely have air leaking past the exhaust valve. I put shop air to the cylinder at tdc on the combustion stroke and it will blow out a flame held at the muffler tip

Zman

Cartaholic
Sounds like a head rebuild to me, the valves are adjusted correctly? Or is this a FE350 with hydraulic lifters"

Bansheetaz

Sounds like a head rebuild to me, the valves are adjusted correctly? Or is this a FE350 with hydraulic lifters"
I backed off the valve adjustment to do this test so it should have been completely sealed up. This is a fe290 with adjustable rockers