1997 Club Car DS 36 Volt to 48 Volt Upgrade

Y2KTJ

New Member
Bought the wife a 36 volt 1997 Club Car DS. She wanted something to drive around Disney's Fort Wilderness when she visits , and to use at Jeep events when she can.

Previous owner didn't use it much and let it sit too long.
I drove it around the yard and it feels like the motor is stuttering after pushing the pedal passed a certain point , so I'm not sure if its a stator issue or a battery causing what I'm feeling or a problem with the controller. Either way , she wouldn't be happy with it so I started searching upgrade options.

It currently has a set of Trojan t-105's ( Apr - 2018 dates ) and a charger that will trip after a few minutes of charging.
The motor is questionable, as are a few of the batteries at this point, and the turn signals don't operate. .

After reading through the threads and seeing what others have done, I figured I would just go with all new and upgrade it to 48 volts all at once, so I ordered a 48 volt motor from D&D, a 400 amp solenoid and a 500 amp controller.
I am waiting on some battery cable to start the electrical rebuild, and I need to find a built in charger to swap over to for the new setup.
Once everything is installed, I'll pick up some new batteries and test it all out. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

I showed the wife some pictures of other carts on here which led to a 6" lift and some 23's showing up that I knew nothing about..
Not to mention some various usb chargers and lights and such.
She wants a back seat added and really wants to swap the front clip for a Jeep front end.
 

Attachments

  • 20201213_141525.jpg
    20201213_141525.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 5

Y2KTJ

New Member
Thanks ,

You guys have already cost me way too much, I gotta stop looking at other builds...

I'm sure I'll have many questions in the coming months.. Thanks for all the help from other posts I've skimmed over already...
 

Y2KTJ

New Member
After diving into this thing further, found everything in it is already setup for 48v .
Just wish I could get more than an hour or two a week to mess with this thing.

I got the motor, solenoid , and controller installed. Still using the original wiring so I can swap out each length one at a time.
I figured that would be the easiest way so I don't screw up the layout..
Batteries should be here Friday and I should have it all back together and running by Monday.
Other than some crazy looking factory welds it's in great shape.
New stuff looks so much cleaner.
 

Attachments

  • 20210106_165213.jpg
    20210106_165213.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210106_173756.jpg
    20210106_173756.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210106_173759.jpg
    20210106_173759.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210106_173800.jpg
    20210106_173800.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 6

Y2KTJ

New Member
Everything is up and running, holy fast for a cart... had to slow down everytime I got it going because the wife was freezing.
noticed some dead spots on the throttle. takes almost 1/4 pedal to get movement . then the last 1/8th or so is maxed. I'm fine with the max, just have to look into smoothing out the starting section of the pedal.

need to do an alignment tomorrow and I'll get a few speed runs in and see how fast it actually gets up to...
 
Top