1996 EZGO Starter Generator Issue

arkag76

1996 EZGO 4 stroke with possible starter generator issue. Runs great gets hot and have to let it sit for a minute.
1. Battery is good... when i measure at rest get 12 v
2. When I measure with it running and i measure at the battery I get 14.5-14.74 v
3. If i connect pos+ meter probe to solenoid and neg- meter probe I get the same measurement running as i do at the battery,

The golf cart will run an entire 18 holes or more... only seems to get hot and shut down if i run it continuously or almost continuously as when just out to drive it... in other words no stop or very little stop. and then let it set for just maybe 1-2 minutes and it will start back up

arkag76

HotRod...... no it will not... however... after it gets warm.... it seems that if i push it all the way to the floor.... it wont start but if i barely press it it will after sitting a minute

arkag76

well... i don't know if it does... i will check tomorrow.... i do get a reading of 14.5-14.7v when i put the meter on the solenoid and the neg- battery terminal.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
When it quits running and won't turn over on the starter does the solenoid still click when you press the throttle?

arkag76

I will check that tomorrow....I assume if I do t hear a click at all from the solenoid...it means it's going bad?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No not necessarily. You would need to check for battery voltage on both large solenoid posts to make sure power is passing through the solenoid. If it doesn't click then the problem is more than likely the micro switch or wiring.