1996 Club Car Golf Cart Quit With a Shudder

cltcpa

My 1996 Club Car golf cart quit with a shudder. Bought new batteries and still did not run. It then ran for a little while and quit again. Had same problem 2 years ago and a new on board computer was the answer. Could it be this again or could it be something else? Also, what is the purpose of the computer?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The OBC controls the charging of the batteries. It's a very common problem with Club Cars. Start with checking the battery pack voltage, individual battery voltage and make sure ALL cable connections are clean and tight.

cltcpa

I have done all that. There is 48 volts through the solenoid. How do I check if the OBC is working?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can bypass the OBC with a jumper wire from the yellow wire on the solenoid to the negative post on #6 battery.

There's also a procedure to reset the OBC in the resource forum here. Sometimes that will fix the problem. Try the reset first and if that doesn't work bypass the OBC. If the cart runs replace the OBC...

cltcpa

This is my first try at this and I don't know the ins and outs yet. What do I do to find how to reset the computer? I probably won't be able to try anything until Wednesdayl and possibly Thursday. This site appears to be a great source of information. I thank all who have helped.

shadowman

Does the golf cart make any noise at all when you hit the pedal? Solenoid click? Is your charger still working on the cart? Usually when a Club Car just stops with a shutter or lurch it seems in most cases not all the time thats the controller going out and your 96 has the black ( junk ) controller. I'm not saying this is whats wrong but it sure wouldn't surprise me. Do the OBC bypass 1st if cart runs than replace it also check to see if your charger comes on if it doesn't that's another sign of a bad OBC.

cltcpa

I had previously posted that my 98 Club Car would not run even after installing new batteries and on board computer. Finally found my problem - a wire connection on one battery was bad. When testing all the batteries, it tested 48 volts, but when starting at the beginning and adding one battery to the test each time, it did not increase by 6 volts when the battery with the bad connection was added to the test. Thanks to all who tried to help.