I started with a early 96 with a ccw FE290. I bought it at a ezgo dealer. They claimed that it was all serviced and ready to go for the 08 season. They also claimed that it went through their 40 point inspection, yadda yadda yadda, right.
So I brought it home and started to add a few things that we wanted on it for the campground. I added a rear view mirror, lights and switch, and a horn. As I went I cleaned under the front cowl.
I then tore into the front end because I found a little slop in the passenger side spindle. The slop was actually from a wore out upper clevis and no thrust bearing underneath it. I cleaned off all the old grease and got the three tierod ends to take new grease. They looked like they hadn't been touched forever. One jam nut was loose on the tierod.
When I got to the drivers side I found a very rusted inside bearing in the hub and a bad inner seal. So I decided to just order new seals, bearings, races and dust caps along with the clevis and thrust bearing.
About this time I can't wait to start on the rear and see what had been overlooked. I removed the top and the rear body having to drill out some of the seat back bracket bolts. Everything of course was filthy so I cleaned everything as I went. There were some broken welds on the frame. One was on the bracket to support the seat. The others were the small brackets under the front side of the seat. I repaired these with countersunk bolts and nylon locknuts.
I replaced all the fuel lines new. I changed the trans and rear diff with mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90. The rotors and shoes looked good. I replaced the starter belt. I ordered a drive belt.
I installed heavy duty rear springs. I had a hard time getting enought clearance to stuff them in between the axle and bracket thats part of the engine pan. I removed the fourth flat leaf to fit them. I had to sawzall the old bolts where the old leafs attach to the frame in front. I had to find some shock extenders to remount those.
I put the body back on hooked up the shift lever and went for a spin. I am initially pleased with the way it runs. I tweaked the idle/air a bit on the carb.
It is quite obvious when the governor kicks in and backs off the carb.
I installed an hour meter, hooked it to the starter side of the solenoid.
I installed a rear seat kit that I purchased from Rockytopcarts on ebay. I wasn't overly impressed with the fit and finish of the kit. It did bolt together well for the most part. It also seems pretty solid. I kinda wish I had spent a bit more and got an aluminum framed kit.
Well that's about it for now. Just gotta install the belt when it comes and put the top back on. I kinda like it without the top but the wife says put it back on. I'll probably look for a deal on a 80" top down the road and maybe some black front brackets.
Haven't decided on weather or not I will lift it. If I do I'd like to get 12" wheels and 23" tires. I kinda like the street look with low profile tires and 10 or 12" rims also. I'll have to see how it goes at the campground this summer.