1996 Club Car DS 48 Volt Runs But Charger Doesn't Charge Batteries

Cheryl

I could really use some help. I'm confused. My 1996 Club Car DS 48 Volt with F/W lever is due for a charge as it is running a little sluggish. The golf cart runs but the battery charger doesn't turn on to charge the batteries. The Lester charger will not start since I can't get any reading at the receptacle the charger sees the batteries as dead. I am only able to measure the 6 - 8 volt batteries individually with a multimeter.

I can't get a pack reading, or any reading in the sequence. Testing Battery #1 positive to the frame gives the 8 Volt reading but I can't get 16 on #2, 24 on #3, etc. Batteries are fairly new and voltage is not below 34, so I haven't tested each cell. I replaced the solenoid a couple years ago when it would not run. Unfortunately, the problem turned out to be the OBC, which I have been running with a jump wire from the solenoid to battery #6.

It has been running and charging fine until now. I am confused as to how it is still running with something not quite connecting. I haven't worked on it in a while other than checking the battery levels. I am hoping this is something minor and easy to access, such as a loose or corroded wire that would cause this.

I would really appreciate any advice on what to look for and where?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check the wires from the charger receptacle on the golf cart to the batteries. If you don't have voltage to the charger receptacle the battery charger isn't going to turn on when you plug it into the golf cart.

Cheryl

Thanks for quick reply. I just double checked the connections. Red black & grey are not loose or corroded. Red connection to Battery #1 is good. Inline fuse on grey is not blown. I've always been able to test each battery ground to body with my meter to verify batteries up to the 6th battery at 48 volts. Something is breaking the pack reading at the beginning. Maybe the solenoid connections?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No it wouldn't be the solenoid or it's connections causing no voltage reading at the batteries. Try putting your meters black/ground on the negative post of the first battery then move the meters red/positive lead to each batteries positive post and see if you get the right voltage reading. Then use you meter to check voltage at the two battery posts your charger receptacle wires are connected to. If you have the correct voltage at the batteries the changer wires are connected to there's a bad or broken connection going to the golf carts charger receptacle or inside the charger receptacle or the fuse is blown. The batteries ground wires or any accessories should never be connected to the frame on a electric golf cart so you will never get a accurate reading grounding your meter to the frame. The only time you would see full voltage grounding your meter to the frame is if you have a accessory grounded to the frame or your batteries are conducting from battery acid that has leaked or gassed out during charging.

Cheryl

THANKS! Glad to hear it is not the solenoid. I will definitely try that and get back to you hopefully today or tomorrow. I don't have any accessories on the Club Car. Sorry, I do have a 1997 TRANS2 48 Volt Golf Car with many accessories. The design was bought out by Chrysler after 700 were produced and is now a GEM Car. I was able to ground to the frame for the battery sequence on that one. Unfortunately, it is not currently running until I learn how to test ohms.

Thanks again,
Cheryl

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
With the charger plugged in to the cart and power, ground the gray wire with a jumper to the pack negative does the charger click.

also make sure the power Receptacle is good and not tripped

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
On a 48 volt Club Car the charger receptacle sense lead fuse is in the gray wire coming off the back of the charger receptacle.
club-car-charger-receptacle-fuse.gif

Diode

Thanks. I am going out soon to try all of this. How would I see if the receptacle is tripped?
Plug something else into the socket and electric drill a lamp

Are you the person I helped jump the yellow wire on the solenoid when the cart wouldn't run Bypassing the OBC for your husband and his dog

Cheryl

WOW! IT'S ME! WHAT ARE THE ODDS?! This is the first post I have done on golf carts since my last one with you!! That was at least a few years ago on BuggiesUnlimited Forum! You absolutely are the one who made the last years of my husband and his Jack Russell's lives much happier!! So many bad things have happened, but I am hanging in there.

However, you have a warped sense of humor, as I do, and that kept me working on his Club Car at some of the worst times. When I told you not to tell me it was the OBC, you didn't! But it was and you said I told you not to tell me that! Lol I thought I would never find you again! I think Buggies Unlimited Forum went to Facebook!! I'm not a fan of Facebook.

Sorry to you and HotRodCarts. I finally have the results from tests so far, but I am just totally exhausted and I doubt I will make any sense if I try to give the results tonight. I will be back tomorrow.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Hi Cheryl how are you doing? Just wanted to say high and was wondering if you ever got the cart problem sorted out.

Cheryl

Hi HotRodCarts,

Sorry for leaving this problem hanging for so long. Crap just won't stop! I told an electrician ex-friend not to touch it last year after he kept running it without a completed charge, (not all electricians know golf carts)! I started cleaning cables and recharging batteries yesterday. I found one thing that he did last year (without me knowing) when it wouldn't charge.

The main idiot fix he did was the red battery cable to the charge receptacle...he reduced the cable gauge by splicing it down to about 1/3 of the main cable which, of course, the charger won't recognize the pack voltage! I am going to get the correct cable gauge tomorrow or take it off a scrap vehicle in the barn tonight.

Also, I re-checked the grey wire in-line fuse and it is bent, but not broken. It probably needs to be replaced anyway. I have a mess of old type fuses, I just don't know, is there any difference if it's the correct amps?

Unfortunately, he had access to the golf cart and there is a disconnected red wire coming off the solenoid with an in-line fuse that was open and missing the fuse. I have been searching online forever to find the correct amp without success. I hate to hook everything up without the correct fuse. Can you help me again? Thank you for your patience.

Cheryl

Diode

Cheryl you’re like a bad dream or PTSD you keep coming back every year or two, Maybe you can stick around this time. :confused::rotflmao: It’s good to hear from you again I hope things are going better was very sorry to hear about your husband .
I think the gray wire is 1/3AMP Pretty much anything would work half amp up to 1 AMP You need to give us your serial number I’ll look up the other one first letter and 4 numbers maybe send pictures if you can of the other fuse holder where it hooks up .

Diode

Sorry didn’t read the heading of 96 I see the fuse but it doesn’t give the rating fuses are there to protect the wiring the wiring should be good for 10 AMP so start with a 5, 7 or 8AMP fuses Just in case something is wrong

Cheryl

You are both silly. :cool:I am back! But I don't blame you, procrastinating and prioritizing are my middle names. After filling and charging each battery and doing some cable cleaning and replacing yesterday. The charger didn't kick on. The gray wire test to negative clicked the charger on. I won't ass-u-me that it meant the charger was good. The shocker was that I left it plugged in last night not charging and this morning it wasn't charging until almost noon, it kicked in and is still charging. I so hope this works!! I want to see my back pond without ridinng a mower and hoping it will restart. Story of my life.

Hey guys, good news is "I will be back" with my 96 Trans 2. I am going to try to pick your brains on it. I have to start over again with it. I got to the ohms and winter hit, but I am learning a lot. It's been sitting about 4 years.:unsure:Someone in Iowa has one listed on classiccars.com for $7900...maybe in 10 more years. Since only 700 were made and I have #271.

So how about it? If I start a thread will you be there to point me in the right direction as long as I stay in tough and in touch? :thumbsup:

Love you guys!
Thanks,
Cheryl

P.S. I am keeping an eye on the batteries since I have the OBC jump wire.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes feel free to start a thread on the GEM Trans 2 and I'm sure you'll get some help on it. I haven't worked on one in years and parts are scarce.

Cheryl

Thanks! I can use the help. I know parts are very scarce, but the previous owner allowed someone to make a royal mess of the fuses and wiring. I think part of my problem lies there. When I first got it, it didn't run, but I traced and labelled everything with a Brother labeler with industrial label tape. I highly doubt there are any Trans 2's left with the onboard charger with the pull out cord and the wiper motor overloaded the fuse. Mine is in better shape than the one in Iowa. Half of the 700 made went overseas.
I did manage to get a trouble shooting flowchart and much more from a great guy from the company, as it is similar to the first Gem e5???. Hopefully I won't need any parts. It may be fuses or a few wires in the dash that may have been changed by someone suffering from severe liver tox of the brain, or dirty contacts.

Thanks again and I'm sure I will hear from my long lost Diode soon too.
Cheryl

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd start a thread about it in the Other Electric Golf Cart Repair section of the forum and I'm sure we can help you get it straightened out.