1995 ezgo medalist gas

oldduck

I'm new to the forum and not a mechanic so I hope I can explain my problem enough to get some help. Been reading posts and answers about ignitor and spark problems so I have some ideas now about what my problem might be but still have a question or two.
My cart was running fine when my son and I parked it to replace the rack in the steering. Took about 8 days to get the part and install it. That project went fine but when we tried to test drive thye cart the engine wouldn't start. Turned over but we get no spark to the plugs. From reading the posts, it sounds like the most common problem is the ignitor. Just wondering if the ignitor would go bad just sitting. Any way to test it? Any suggestions? Can't afford to put too much money into a cart a6 years old.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome
tip.gif

theres no way to test them, they seldom burn out while running. most times they burn out from running at high rpm's for longer periods of time. a bad voltage regulator was more than likely the cause
twocents.gif

oldduck

Thanks again. I'll see if I can find a used one locally and try it before I order one. I know that with electrical parts and wiring, connections can often cause severe headaches and problems. I'm glad I found a site like this where I can get some help.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i agree that connections and grounds can cause this no spark issue also, if the unit ran fine before and the repairs were only to the steering than most likely its not a wiring issue
twocents.gif
its easy enough to check for incoming power to the coil and ignitor to make sure.

oldduck

Glad I found someone who is so knowlegeable. Still looking for a local cart that I might be able to use to try another ignitor, but I can't help but tinker after your suggestions. At the coil, I get continuous power to the post connected to the red wire that comes from the ignitor through the solenoid. This power is there whether connected to the coil or disconnected. When connected to the coil I get one pulse at the post connected to the white wire. Then nothing. If I disconnect from the coil I get nothing at all.

All I have is a test light so I'm not entirely certain of my findings but it's kind of fun to try. At the ignitor, only one wire has power and that's the red one that goes through the solenoid to the coil.

Have a friend that has an ohm meter, so if there is a resistance across the pulsar that indicates it's condition, I could check that. I assume the wires just go through the pulsar then back to the ignitor, but I get no power on either side.

Hope this isn't too uninteresting for you. My son and I were so excited when the repairs on the steering went so well that this second problem was a little bit of a downer. Kind of makes you want to tackle something that you know nothing about. Sounds like you've worked on an awful lot of these. I appreciate the time you've already spent helping me and it would make my year if my son and I could fix this thing.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
to get one pulse at the post connected to the white wire Then nothing is right, when the ignitor burns out it sometimes will still make one or two sparks at the plugs also. the pulser coil is about making and breaking a connection just like points in older engines. your right with the resistance or ohms on those leads. no power.

oldduck

Sounds like it's probably the ignitor and not the pulsar. I'll keep looking for a local one. Got a few more calls to make. IF I can't find one I'll just have to order a new one and take a chance. Found some for $169 with free shipping. Too rainy on the Oregon coast to play golf right now anyway.

Thanks for your help. Might take a while, but I'll let you know how this comes out for us.