1995 EZ GO Medalist differential problem

hogwildest

I recently bought a '95 EZ-Go electric Medalist. It's my first golf cart and I don't know a lot about them. The cart didn't run when I bought it, and the guy said it needed batteries. I bought new batteries and cables and it's up and running. The problem is there's a rubbing, scratchy kind of noise coming from what I assume is the differential in the rear end. What would be likely to cause this? Does it just need oil? If so, where is the oil fill tube/hole on this model's differential? (I see the drain plug on the bottom) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JRay

Cartaholic
If the cart is been sitting awhile it might be rust and dirt in the brake drums. Jack it up and pull the the wheels and drums and have a look. I found that to be the case with an old cart i bought.Someone else will be along with an answer to your differential question.

hogwildest

Thanks for the tip. I already tried that though, and the sound seems to clearly be coming from the differential. Thanks for the quick reply anyway.

JRay

Cartaholic
Open the drain plug to see if there is fluid coming out. Should tell you if it has oil.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I believe the plug near the bottom of the pain should be the fill plug. When full the lube should run out of the hole on level ground. It might be a good idea to drop the pan and have a look...

DaveT

I would say if you have your differential oil full, and your brake hubs are not rubbing, and your bearings are good......just run it until something seizes, locks and sends your mother-in-law thru the windshield.
wallbash.gif

Then you will be able to determine the source of the noise.

Hey, glad I could help.
tip.gif

Dave