1994 Marathon 48 volt conversion

gorillaboze

I have a 1994 Marathon, 36 volt cart. It runs fine, but will need new batteries soon. I would like to convert the cart to run on 48 volts instead of 36.

What all needs to be changed in the cart? Controller, soleniod? I know I will need 8 volt batteries instead of 6, and a new charger. Not sure what else I will need.

And after this conversion, will the cart run faster and have more power?

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the froum...

Basically all you need is a controller and solenoid that will handle 48 volts. Upgraded cables and heavy duty buss bars in the forward and reverse switch is a good idea to.

gorillaboze

I've noticed that controllers come in Amps. Is the higher the Amp the faster the cart will go? Or will it just have more power?

I don't plan on changing tire size or jacking the cart up. Just want a cart that can keep up with all the new ones on the course.

-Chad

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It depends on the type of cart. A series cart will only gain torque. A regen cart will gain speed and torque with a higher amp controller.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Going to 48 volts will increase both speed and torque on any 36 volt cart. You'll need a controller and solenoid rated for 48 volts.