1994 Club Car Rear Tires Locked Up While Driving

GARedneck

Hello, I'm new here but it looks like a great forum with some helpful information.

I need help figuring out what's wong with my cart. The rear tires locked up while driving. I was driving down the driveway a couple of days ago when it acted like the motor locked up and made the tires slide on the gravel driveway. It hasn't run since then. It rolls freely so it's not really locked up.
I did some research and troubleshooting yesterday and here's what I have found out.

1994 Club Car
36 volt
Has the pie shaped (V-glide?) throttle
Curtis speed controller
Batteries about 1 year old
All stock and unmodified

When you press the GO pedal the solenoid clicks and then again when you release pedal.
I jacked up rear wheels and pressed GO pedal repeadedly to see if maybe solenoid made intermittant contact. The wheels would occasionally move slightly, but very slow and only about an inch of rotation.

Felt of motor to check for heat and noticed the S1 terminal was warm.
I disconnected motor wires and tested motor per the test procedure I found somewhere(Jumper wire between A2 & S1 then power applied to A1 & S2). Motor ran fine with 6,12, and 36 volts and powered the wheels.

I have checked all wire connections for security and everything is in good shape.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I'm stumped and don't know what else to check.

Thanks ya'll.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

I'm thinking it's your controller. I'm not sure what else would cause the tires to lock up like you mentioned.

You can jump B- and M- at the controller to bypass the controller. Make the final connection away from the controller and raise the rear tires off the ground before jumping the controller, it's going to run at wide open throttle. If it runs with the jumper I'd say the controller is bad...

GARedneck

I'm thinking it's the controller also. I'll try the bypass you mention and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

GARedneck

Hey Hotrodcarts:

I wasn't sure if you meant to remove cables from the M- and B- terminals then connect the two cables or leave them connected to the controller and basically put a screwdriver across the terminals. I tried both ways and neither would make the motor run.
I did get a nice arc when done the second way.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You need to leave the cables connected. The spark/arc is why I mentioned making the final connection away from the controller. The only other thing I can think of that may have caused to to lock up like you mentioned would be the forward and reverse switch getting moved to the opposite direction while the cart was moving or a problem with the switch itself...

JRay

Cartaholic
I would also take a peek inside that vglide box, to make sure its sweeping correctly.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad to hear you got it running... Thanks for the follow up...
cool.gif