1993 Melex needs differential work

DANMAN12

I have a 1993 Melex golf cart and was told by a mechanic that I need the differential repaired. He said I need a new ring gear. Is this fixable? He said he would have a tough time findign a new ring gear. Others have told me you can find Melex parts just fine. Aren't EZ-Go parts inter-changeable with Melex parts? Would this cost a lot to repair?

I would really like to use this golf cart again and am low on money so I don't want to scrap the cart and buy another. Thanks.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

The parts may be hard to find new. I would contact Vintage Golf Cart Parts and see if they can help you find the parts you need.

I don't think a E-Z-GO ring gear will work with the Melex rear end but you could use a complete rear end from another cart. Is the motor mounted vertical or horizontal to the rear end?

DANMAN12

Thank you for replying. Do you think the complete rear end can be from an EZ-Go or other manufacturer or does it need to be a Melex. To answer your question, the motor is mounted vertical to the rear end. So the motor is mounted with the shaft pointing to the back end.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you want to swap the rear end and can't locate a Melex rear end your best bet would be a early EZGO Marathon rear end. You may have to move the spring perches on the EZGO rear end to line up with the springs.

I would pull the cover off your rear end and see what all is damaged and call Vintage Golf Cart Parts and see if you can get the parts to fix what you have. Chances are you need more than just a ring gear. You could post in the wanted forum here also to see if anyone has the parts or a complete rear end...

Also you can call Parts4Carts They have a golf cart junk yard and may have what you need.

DANMAN12

I opneed the differential case and the ring gear is indeed broken. The cracked off piece was sitting on the bottom of the case. The ring gear is broken, The part # on the differential is WGB301001. Can this part be located? If not, a new rear end perhaps?

Dan