1993 EZGO Marathon Cart

ngc4900

Hello
I am new to the forum and carts. I have spent some time reading about batteries and charging. I was given a 1993 EZGO Marathon for Xmas. It seems to be clean and in good condition. Batteries are Trojan T 105 and I was told they are 2 years old. It came with an EZGO Textron charger model 20484 (1988?).

I am trying to verify if the batteries are good. I measured the individual voltage of each battery after a full charge (not under load). I am getting 6.3 volts on every battery except the battery that has a connection to the panel that controls the forward and reverse. This battery also seems to be connected to the front lights (no other accessories) . That voltage is 6.0. I have a copy of the SOC chart (very helpful)

Questions:
1. Is the method I used to check the batteries correct? I have a copy of the "ehow.com" article entitled "how to check a Golf Cart for bad batteries", but I did not want to purchase a hydrometer and get that "involved".

2. The charger looks like it is on it's death bed. Is there a charger someone could recommend for this cart. I believe it uses an anderson plug.

3. I have read that folks have purchased a separate 12 volt battery to run accessories. Any idea where I would mount the battery this on this model?

Thanks so much for the help

Joe

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

If the battery that has the lower voltage has accessories connected to it that's why it has the lower reading. If it was my cart I would charge that battery with a 6 volt charger until it comes back up to 6.30 volts. Then I would rotate it with another battery from the pack.

Depending on your accessories you may be able to get by with a small 12 volt battery like a tractor or motorcycle battery under the seat. The only other easy option with a Marathon is to locate it in the bag well.