1993 EZGO Gas Golf Cart Only Gets Spark When I Let off Pedal

1993 EZGO gas golf cart 295cc only gets spark when I let off the gas pedal. Any ideas why the cart is only getting spark when I let off the pedal?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Are you sure you have a good ground from the engine to the frame? if so i would disconnect the power wire from the igniter to the starter solenoid and run a jumper wire from the igniter to the battery and try it.
Did this engine ever run since you've owned it?
do you still have the old igniter?

Zman

Cartaholic
start with a test light on white wire on coil does it light? the go to red wire does it light?, now crank engine does red wire pulse the test light? if it does replace coil. If not check connectors at igniter , to test pulsar use dvom meter set on ac ~ hook to two wire connector and crank engine , meter should show voltage fluctuation. if not pulsar bad, if all good check for power at igniter , if good replace it.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
start with a test light on white wire on coil does it light? the go to red wire does it light?, now crank engine does red wire pulse the test light? if it does replace coil. If not check connectors at igniter , to test pulsar use dvom meter set on ac ~ hook to two wire connector and crank engine , meter should show voltage fluctuation. if not pulsar bad, if all good check for power at igniter , if good replace it.
Well He already replaced the three parts you listed and got spark in a different thread:twocents::hattip:

Rstaley

I’d sure be critical of the spark plug and its wiring. When there is hardly any compression in the cylinder (like when you let off of the accelerator), it is easy for the spark to jump to the right place, but when you add compression, the “resistance” to the spark jump in the firing chamber drastically increases, and the spark can try to jump to an easier path. It’s worth looking at closely, perhaps you already have. Good luck

Yes it ran super bad and I had to tear it down and rebuild cause no more cross hatching in the cylinder wall. Timing is on I just can get spark unless you let off then boom one spark.

Rstaley

So, if you just remove the spark plug and set it on top of the engine and watch the spark, (no compression to affect anything) it only sparks when the accelerator is in an “almost off” position? I’m just curious as to how you are determining that the spark disappears when the throttle is advanced.

Zman

Cartaholic
Still doesn't tell me if he has a pulse at the test light when cranking engine,for all we know he doesn't have 12 volts to coil or igniter.

So the next question I had was I have been riding it around trying to break it in and now it won’t go up a very long hill it just stops is it possible to adjust the clutch itself? The golf cart is still at full throttle it just stops going.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
No adjustment, i would say the drive clutch is sticky, are the clutches shifting when you run it with the rear wheels off the ground?