1992 Yamaha G-9AH Clutch Problem?

Shawk

1992 Yamaha G-9 engine runs great but cart does not move in forward or reverse. Tightened accelerator cable as this has been the problem in the past when the cart does not move when gas pedal is depressed but it didn't work this time. Occasionally the cart will begin to move but less than a few inches and stops. How do I verify if the clutch is the problem and needs to be replaced? If not the clutch, what else could it be?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Jack the rear tires off the ground and see if the belt is traveling in both clutches from and idle to full throttle. Check the key on the driven clutch to make sure it isn't sheared.

Zman

Cartaholic
If clutches appear okay i would check to make sure you don't have a stripped out rear axle hub.

Shawk

Scratch the engine runs great, the engine isn't starting at all. (never listen to your brother-in-law) The battery is good, there is spark and compression, but checked the carb bowl and it had a large amount of gunk in it. Just ordered a new carb since it has never been replaced prior as well as a new fuel filter since it hasn't been changed in years also. Is there anything else you would recommend servicing while I am at it?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
How old is the gas in the tank? You might want to drain the tank and put fresh gas in it before putting the new carburetor on. :twocents:

Shawk

It has been a year since the cart was running. I ordered a new fuel filter as well so I can change that when I drain the tank. When I removed the spark plug there was a lot of gunk buildup around the spark plug on the front wall. I'm guessing addressing this is probably above my mechanical capability (which doesn't take too much) but how would I clean this out without getting debris down into the engine? Thank you for your help!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the debris is around the outside of the spark plug screw the plug back in and blow it out with an air compressor.

Shawk

New carburetor installed, fresh gas, replaced fuel filter and engine still won't start. It has air, fuel, spark and compression. I tried adjusting the carburetor but still never even a sputter to start. The battery is fuller charged, both belts are turning when pedal is pushed down. Could this be an electrical issue??

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If it's getting gas, spark and has enough compression it should run. I would do a compression test and see where it's at.

Shawk

Yes and did multiple tests, it was never above 30. Both hoses from the air filter box are secure and have no leaks/holes that I can see.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would check the valve lash first and also make sure one of the valves isn't hanging open. If that checks out ok I'd say the engine needs to be taken apart and do a complete top end rebuild.

Shawk

When I started unhooking hoses from the valve cover the hose on the top right side of the cover was cut where the spring-clip was. This hose traced to a T connection that branched up to the fuel pump. Could the hole in this hose cause the low compression?? I haven't been able to find anyone yet that has a top end rebuild kit in stock for my cart. Any suggestions on a vendor?

Neil Yamaha G9

I had a similar problem. I had spark and went a different direction. Changed brushes in the generator motor etc. Put in a new plug and it started working fine. It may have spark but not enough to ignite.