1991 EZGO Marathon: tell me about the lights?

anoymouse

Just picked up a well running but rough looking cart. The front and rear lights are non operational. Before I dive in my questions is...

Are the OEM back lights brake lights or just driving lights for night?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The OEM Marathon lights were tail lights only. If there's only two wires on each light their a single element and would be tail lights only.

anoymouse

Had a chance to go over the batteries today, clean them and the connections and then coat them. After a full charge and 24 hours they are all about 6.85v.

Had a good look at the rear lights and see three wires coming out of them...brakes?

Going to take them and the front lights apart this week and prob wire from scratch. Looking at the wiring that is disconnected under the seat and tracing with a continuity tester I cannot make much heads or tails.

QUESTION: Are the lights on these systems usually 12v or 6v for one of my age (1991). Looking how they may have rigged it (terminals to nowhere) I suspected it was 6v even knowing I was expecting 12v.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The lights should be 12 volts. Check to see if the rear lights have a dual element bulb like a 1157. If they are they can be use as brake lights, turn signals or both.