1991 EZGO 2 Cycle Golf Cart Loosing Spark

steedracer

Is there any way to bench test the pulser coil or the ignition module on a 1991 EZGO 2 cycle golf cart? My cart will run from 10 to 30 seconds and then it's loosing spark. If you let off the gas pedel and push it again it will start again and then stop sparking again. I have tried another coil and the same thing happens. If you put a multimeter across the + and - on the coil it showes voltage as long as the gas pedel is depressed , even when there is no spark at the plug wire. This thing is about to drive me crazy. Please can any one help?

Jake

You have a similar problem I went through. I finally checked every wire connection and cleaned or replaced affected areas. Ran fine and did it again months later. Replaced key switch and problem never has come back. If the pulser is tight and timing correct then what else is left. I will report these engines are weak on spark and I feel that atttributes to them being "fussy" on ignition. I considered a high output coil. Has anyone done this?

mlang1020

Thank you for your answer. I will definitely look at all the wires especially the ignition. I sure hope that is what it is, if not, I am stumped.

steedracer

I tried replacing the Igniter with a HEI unit . The cart runs now but doesn't rev much and has no power. The engine seems to get hot alot quicker than it did before. I put the old igniter back on and the power and speed was back to normal but same as before it would only run about 10 to 30 seconds and shut off. The only good thing that came out of switching to the HEI is that it would keep running and not cut off. I guess that this tells me that my old ignitor is bad. Can any one tell me where to get a new Igniter at the best price? Thanks to all.