1989 Club Car DS Choke Assembly and Service Manual

2noose

Hey everybody. My name is Anthony and I just purchased a 1989 Club Car golf cart that needs a lot of tlc. First I need a complete choke assembly including the choke button. Next I need to know the best place to get a service manual for this golf cart. Any help would be appreciated.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can get the Club Car service manual for your golf cart from any of the forum sponsors. As far as the choke assembly goes you could try posting in the Wanted section of the forum. You might be able to get a used one from parts4carts.com. Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas. :hattip:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes I would give them a call and ask them. I know they have a lot of parts that aren't listed on their website.

2noose

Ok, called Parts4Carts and they looked through all their stuff and no luck. Don’t know what to do now unless I can engineer something from PVC that will cut the air off to the carb. Will take suggestions from any and all.

2noose

Ok, had to replace carb on the Kawasaki engine that had not been started for 2 years. Cleaned out all of the debris under the shrouds and it started on ether. It now will start on gasoline but does not continue to run unless I loosen the jet(?) located on top of the carb. When I do that it will run but will not throttle up when accelerator is pressed. It appears to be starving for gas. New carb did not have carb settings set at factory so I’m asking is there someone out there that knows the correct settings are for this engine. Also does that jet need to be screwed down tight, if loosend it just vibrates around and eventually shuts the engine down. Don’t know what to do now.
Thanks for your help.

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
what exactly do you need for the choke assembly just the push button part that is screwed to the body or do you need the airbox too?

does it still have the flathead engine in it?

2noose

I just found the choke button on eBay and ordered that yesterday. The air boxes at some point in time prior to me owning it fell on the hot exhaust pipe and melted large holes in the two air boxes. I might be able to repair the square on but the flex box is toast. I would like to find one of those and yes it still has the old flat head in it. Should it run and idle without the choke assembly installed?

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
after you get it started and warmed up it should idle i have two of them and they both idle just fine but they are cold blooded

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
when all of the adjustments are set right it should idle when you push the pedal down just far enough to engage the starter. were you able to get a service manual

2noose

Yes I did get the service Manual. Right now I have the wiring harness removed as well as the frame and I’m jump starting the engine from the battery. If I put my hand over the carb the engine will start and no amount of adjustment on the carb will make it idle once I remove my hand. I thought if I put the choke assembly back on it might run properly. Brand new carb, new fuel pump,gas lines, and filters and I can’t get it to run properly. I’m at a loss as to what to do.

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
i think it does have to have the air box on and hooked up for it to ilde right it gets too much air without it. im trying to remember if it will or not last summer was a long time ago now. but the air box is restrictive enough to make it draw more gas like choking it a little. cover it with your hand and let it breath through your fingers and see if it will idle then. all of the other adjustments have to be right too cable and linkages etc. once you get it to run then you can tweek the governer to make it go a little faster but over revving those flat heads isnt a good idea for very long or they get ratteling pretty good it sounds like they are going to bend the valves. i have mine set to be at max rpm going up hill but on flat ground it will go past max quite a bit so i cant go wide open

2noose

Thanks, you don’t know where I can get the flex hose do you? Any salvage golf cart businesses in your area, if so I would appreciate the phone no.

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
you might be able to get one new from club car i dont know but the part number is 1013733 and its called Air Intake Expansion Chamber