1989 2pg ezgo

Tomd

Cartaholic
I got a 1989 2PG that I cannot get to run. I got it to firing by installing a new coil and ignitor. It tries to hit now but no go. New NKG plug installed. Remove new plug and it looks like no fuel or lean condition.

This cart has been worked on before me. Looks like someone installed a new cylinder. I check the reeds and they are good. Compression is 130. I can see the rear crank seal and it looks good. Of course I cannot see the front one.
I took carburetor apart and it looks clean. I removed the jets to make sure. Float is set.

I have fuel from pump. When the cart does try to run I see oil coming from under cart , looks like where muffler bolts on engine. I get lots of smoke buy it does not open up. I have linkage off and using my hand to move throttle.

The person that owns this said he cleaned the tank and put fresh fuel in at 1 oz to 1 gallon. I may have to remove the fuel and do it myself to make sure.
Would a piston that is installed backward have 130 pounds of compression ? New to 2 strokes.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes it will have the same compression if in backwards but not for long, as soon as it runs for a bit the rings will break. i would unbolt the muffler and see if it runs:twocents:

Tomd

Cartaholic
Thanks, I sort of think it could be in backward. The people that worked on this cart ripped this person off big time. I will take a look in the morning and know for sure. I will report back and again thanks.

Tomd

Cartaholic
Didn't take long to find the problem. Jacked it up and took a look :) They had installed the wrong muffler on it anyway and I was going to replace it with a cart I own

Attachments

• 0921181010_HDR.jpg
    0921181010_HDR.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 13

Tomd

Cartaholic
Yes, it started right away but it did flame a little. I just took the bolts out of top flange to see if it would run and yes it did.

He had tried to start this cart for days and it was not firing. The muffler had lots of oil and fuel in it :)

I bought a cart just like his for $100 to use for parts. I knew the cart and it was running good when it was parked about 10 years ago inside a building. The man had hit a tree with it and banged it up pretty good so he just parked it. I have been watching it and made an offer and the man took it.

I got the ignitor and coil off the junked out one and was able to get fire but of course it would not crank with this wood plugged in end of muffler. The muffler off the junk one is like new so I will use it.

Someone put a lot of working welding on his muffler trying to make it work and then ended up with chunks of wood in tail pipe :) looks like someone backed into a stump or pile of wood. It was deep and I am not going to use the muffler anyway do I may just hang it in my shop to show people what not to do :)

The engine is also supposed to be good but I might have to tear it down to see. I might just check compression to see if sitting for 10 years hurt it. Anyway I now have a spare engine :) with good rear end and other parts the same as his.

Got to get a governor cable somewhere . It is froze up on the junker :) and his. Someone made a choke cable with a welding rod :)

I will keep you updated on how it drives when I get the muffler installed and linkage correct. THANKS. Tom

Tomd

Cartaholic
Still will not run. I replaced the muffler and pipe from other cart. It tries to run but just will not go. The new plug was gas fouled.

I may have to round up another one but I think something is still going on.

I just knew the plugged up exhaust would cure the problem but not to be. I did not look in exhaust port when I took the pipe off but I did stick my finger in it to feel for the indention. It was smooth so this piston is in correct I would think. I don't have a lift and this thing is down under.
I am not sure if this is the correct carburetor. I know the cart I bought that is the same year model is a little different. The choke is on the back on my junker and on the right side on the one I am dealing with. It is right beside the throttle lever.

Tomd

Cartaholic
Might have to look at the front crank seal. That's about all I can think of unless this carburetor is not doing its thing. It looks like someone put a new OEM carburetor on it. It was clean inside and looked like new.

Tomd

Cartaholic
Still will not run correct Nubs. It does not shoot and pop now but just will not run. It tries but a no go. Lots of gas leaking from where you bolt exhaust on under cart and smoke. Almost ran me out of shop :)
. Gas fouled the plug also. I have checked this carburetor twice and see nothing wrong with it. It looks like a new one but might not be the correct one. This cart had a number did on it lol
I didn't check the fan side crank seal when I had it out but the fuel pressure is great. Does this sound like a seal issue ? I know now I got to round up another plug or let this one dry out . I put the right one in.
I just knew the piston being in backwards would solve this issue. I also checked compression and it is 125 both ways.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If gas is running out from between the exhaust flange and the jug then the block most likely has gas layin' in the bottom of it.
When i mess with these old 2 cycles i start with the seals and work up, its hard to tell what's goin' on without being there.

Tomd

Cartaholic
Do I have to split the case to install the seals. ? How would all this gas get there ? Also this is a 1989 2PG instead of what I posted. Not sure how I made that mistake but the 2pgs should be the same ?
I got a carburetor from an older 2pg but it is much smaller than the one on this cart. Looks like someone put a new one on it. The choke is on the rear of the old one but I think it would work. I am working behind someone who tried to make this cart run but give up. Lots of parts installed which was money.
There are no numbers on this engine and to be honest I am not sure what year model it is. I know the cart is a 89 but not sure not his engine. It is not the 3 PG, I do know that :)
Someone made a new muffler work but didn't do a good job. It is hitting the frame because they moved the brackets on it and re-welded them. Chopped up good.

Tomd

Cartaholic
Don't these carts use a fuel pump that has a lower diaphragm that would bust and let fuel in crankcase or am I dreaming ? Been 25 years since I worked on these.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Don't these carts use a fuel pump that has a lower diaphragm that would bust and let fuel in crankcase or am I dreaming ? Been 25 years since I worked on these.

Yes that is one way for gas to flood the block, if the needle/seat leaks and if the fuel can siphon from the fuel tank? that will flood the case. This is just a guess but there are only a few ways for fuel to push out the exhaust, have you checked the spark and timing?

Tomd

Cartaholic
The needle and seat is working the best I can tell. Like I mentioned this carb looks brand new. I will check the pump today.

When this cart was bought it was not firing. I took the ignitor and coil from a cart that was running and put them on this cart. It has spark but when I test it with my spark tester there are a few times when it is turning over it sort of looks like the spark quits, only a split second though. It has hard to tell really but yes it has spark. How to I test the timing on this ? I didn't remove the fan housing and really should have. The pulser coil has had electrical tape on it all the way to inside. Looks like it might have shorted at one time or the wires were bare. I have not removed the tape to look. I am working behind someone who really did a job on this thing.

Tomd

Cartaholic
How do you check the timing on one of these 2PG engines Nubs ? I didn't have time to work on it today but will tomorrow. THANKS

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
You'll need a manual for that, i have always set initial engine timing with a dial indicator and degree wheel but that's just not practicable for most, I have a OCD problem i'm told..:rotflmao::unsure:

Tomd

Cartaholic
Checked the spark with a spark tester. It would miss fire once in a while. Changed plug wire and fixed that. Now bright blue spark. It will run but still does not run correct. I removed the pipe at top. I watched as I give it the gas. It will flame every few seconds. Runs better but still acts like the fire is not good enough.