1988 ezgo

trevminos

ok, so here is the problem. had my cart a couple years and it has always run great.
then last year i was getting it ready for the summer and i took it out for a spin. the battery was charged and after a little bit of cranking over... it took off and ran great. when i stopped and tried to start again. Nothing... i could barely hear it trying to crank. charged the battery and it started up fine again. but this time it stopped while i was driving it. same thing happened again. have put in a new battery, new regulator. but my battery keeps loosing it's charge. i am getting a good spark and have great compression, good fuel pump... everything is working great but i have a electrical problem that i can't seem to find. from reading on here i am guessing my starter/generator might be the problem. does anyone else think so? if so, how can i check it, and if not... what else could it be

trevminos

i am getting 14.5 volts when it is not running. then at half throttle it as about 6 volts
i don't really know what it means but... it can't be good, i can only get it going when i have a charger attached... is something sucking up my power from somewhere

ezmelx

VR may not be charging, live connection is grounded, starter gen faulty, wiring to VR not firmly connected/or loose. Those are possible causes.

To check if VR is charging, jack the rear wheels. Start cart. Take a reading of the voltage while engine is revved (using a digital multimeter). It should read up to 14.7 volts. If not, either VR is faulty (wiring/VR itself) or the charging mechanism on the starter gen is faulty. The starter gen can also get "grounded" if the A1 and A2 terminals touch the starter end and brush holder. The insulator is a type of fibra bushing inserted into the A1 and A2 terminals to prevent them from touching the starter gen end body.

Check if some positive lines are touching the body.

trevminos

finally fixed... i replaced ALL the wiring to the starter/generator... runs great now. i guess one of the wires finally just had enough
thumbup.gif

thanks for everyone's advice... good things to know for future problems
checkered_flag.gif

Tony565

I am a new owner of a 1988 also trying to track down parts. Could you tell me where you found the wires at for the cart?