1988 EZGO Electric Help

softballsky1

I am another newbie but we just purchased a 1988 electric cart. I am not familiar with carts at all. I am looking for a manual or diagram of the parts of the cart. Does anyone know where I can find one fairly cheap. I would like to spend more money upgrading/customizing the cart than buying the expensive manual. I have looked online and cannot find any free diagram's and BU is on backorder. I have searched this site as well as the internet to no avail. Thanks in advance

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

There's manuals in the Resource section of the forum.
Is there something specific you wanted the manual for? If you have questions about the cart ask away.

softballsky1

Thank you for the very quick response. Nothing specific at this time. I just want to start learning the names of the parts and where they are located for future referance. I plan to start doing minor modifications (4ga cables etc.) fairly soon but will do more when it gets colder. It runs descent now so I will be able to use it until then. I do have a stupid question. Sitting in between the batteries, is that the controller? As I begin to customize, I will start adding pics. Thanks again

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not a stupid question at all.
biggrin.gif

Between the batteries you'll either have coils if its a resistor cart or a controller if it's a electronic controller cart.

softballsky1

I just needed to do some more digging. It is coils. On a resistor cart, what are some things to do to gain more speed. I know the cables are one and I plan on changing those soon. What are some others? Also do I buy a complete kit of cables or just battery cables?

I was looking at lifts for this and can only find a 4" economy lift. Is this all that is available for this year of cart?

Thanks again. This is a wonderful site

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
With the resistor carts your limited on performance upgrades. 4 guage cables will help a little especially if your old cables are in bad shape. If your going to change them it's best to change them all. You could increase the voltage to 48 volts for a nice increase in speed and torque.

I haven't seen many lifts available lately for 88 and older EZGO's. I'll do a little searching and see if I can find anything but you may have to go with the 4" lift...

shadowman

one peice of advice is if you plan on doing your own work the 1st 60 dollars you should spend is for the service manual............and with an electric cart even more so......if it cost 100 dollars its worth every penny and it will save you time and money and has everything you,ll need in it including all diagrams, troubleshooting, step by step testing and repairs...........buy the manual you won,t regret it...................i have close to 1500 dollars in manuals and i have never regretted buying them as they have bailed me out dozens of times...............................
cool.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can add two 6 volt batteries to get to 48 volts. You'll also need a means of charging the 48 volts. The stock solenoid will work for a while but it's best to swap it for a 48 volt solenoid.

softballsky1

I am assuming there is a specific wiring diagram for adding another two 6volt batteries. Where can I find this diagram. How do most people charge the 48 volts?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You just add two more batteries to the chain wired just like the rest. As far as charging you either need a 48 volt charger or you can use a 12 volt charger for two batteries and use the 36 volt charger for the rest of the pack.
Gornoman has his cart set up this way and can give you info on how he has it wired. He will be on later I'm sure.

softballsky1

Phenominal job on your cart Gorno. Thanks for the info. We are thinking of buying all new batteries as well. I noticed on yours that you had room for one of the batteries under the seat. With my cart, I don't see that additional room so both would have to go in the rear. Thanks again.

gornoman

You're welcome. The jump to 48v on a 36v motor is absolutely worth it. I was able to do mine in stages, using advice from boards just like this one.

Hw00d

according to this resistor diagram, MS3 only has one wire attached, which is useless, impossible seeing how its mounted on non-conductive board. can't tell if that's a 4-pole solenoid, mine is using both control taps, this one shows 1, and mine's got 2 more MS's on the reversing switch, this shows one...
Is there a schematic available for this Marathon??, these awful diagrams have caused me to burn up 3 micro switches already
Thank you for your time

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You need the right diagram. If you see the diagram is different from your cart don't use it.

Also this thread you replied in is going on 9 years old.

Hw00d

think it says 1988 in title
thumbup.gif
..it's a Marathon Actually runs, in good shape except going to have to reinforce / remake the frame holding the batterys and accelerator unit
wink.gif

thanks
checkered_flag.gif