1988 CART WON'T GO

RONNYZ

I REMOVED THE MOTOR AND PUSHED THE CART,THE GEAR IS TURNING SO I GUESS THAT TELLS ME THE PINION AND ALL GEARS ARE O.K..COULD IT BE THE FEMALE SPLINED GEAR ON THE MOTOR ITSELF IS STRIPPED OUT.ANY HELP WOULD BE HELPFUL..

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

We need a little more info. Can you hear the motor running? If the splines are stripped on the coupler you should be able to tell by looking...

gornoman

You could still have a stripped drum/hub on one side or the other. Did you inspect them first? Why are you tearing the drivetrain apart? What was the original issue?

And, Welcome to Cartaholics!

RONNYZ

THE CART JUST QUIT MOVING,I CAN HEAR SOMTHING RUNNING.WHERE ARE THE BRAKE DRUM/HUBS.
THANKS FOR REPLYING,CARTS OR NEW TO ME,BUT I HAVE BEEN A CHEVROLET TECH SINCE 1978 SO THIS SHOULD BE SECOND NATURE ONCE I UNDERSTAND THE BASICS.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Definitely sounds like a stripped hub. There's splines in the brake drum that slide onto the splined axle. When the drum strips the cart won't move.

gornoman

Each rear brake drum is also the rear hub. When the drum/hub is removed you can see the splined axle as shown here. The axle splines are tough as nails, the hub splines are much softer.
9874SpunHub5.jpg