1987 ELECTRIC CART

rlm5455

NEWBIE. DON'T REALLY KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT GOLF CARTS. MODEL G1487 SERIAL #443140 EZGO ELECTRIC CART. I BOUGHT THIS USED AND WOULD NOT RUN. REPLACED 6-12VOLT MARINE BATTERIES. 2 SETS OF 3 IN A SERIES AND THEN PARALLED THEM. GOT CART RUNNING BUT NOW HAVE WENT THRU 3 SOLENOIDS. USED THE WIRING DIAGRAM OFF OF VINTAGE CARTS BUT IT IS BLURRY AND AM NOT SURE THAT I HAVE ALL WIRING CORRECT. HERRE IS THE PROBLEM, SOLENOID AND WIRES TO SOLENOID ARE GETTING VERY HOT. CAN'T EVEN TOUCH IT BECAUSE OF IT BEING HOT. ALSO, WHEN YOU PUSH DOWN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL THERE IS A SPARK OFF THE BOARD. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE?

THANK YOU
RICHARD

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Are you sure you have the batteries wired correctly? Take a voltage reading on both large studs and both small studs at the solenoid with a digital volt meter and post your results.

S2MFH

Is that correct, if my math is correct that's 72 volts. I hope you ment to say 6-6volt batts.

Can everything be left 36v stock regardless of the net amperage of the battery pack without technical issues? Does it just increase range?

S2MFH

Shows how much I know.
rotflmao.gif

dougmcp

Yes everything stays the same, it's still only a 36v cart.

My guess is that rlm5455 was trying to economize and bought 12v marine batteries instead of deep cycle golf cart batteries. Marine batteries are not true deep cycle but a combination battery like a starting battery with heavier plates.
Normally a 12v marine battery weighs about 40 lbs and a 6v GC battery weighs over 60 lbs.

They will charge alright but the plates are closer together, there is less lead on them and battery life will be greatly affected. I don't see these going any longer than a 2-3 years before replacement will be required.

The old adage holds pretty true here, Run time=Lead (weight) and is dependent on it's deep cycle ability. These marine batteries will likely give less run time than a traditional 6x6v set up.

TDAWG

What I would do as a test for your problem would be to take out the second parallel string. Just run it on three 12 volt batteries and see if you still have a problem.