1987 Club Car DS Noise (Video Included)

aocracing

I purchased a 1987 Club Car DS and noticed after the fact that it has this knocking/pinging sound when throttling or at the very end of letting off of the throttle. I have noticed this issue more since the cart ahs been ridden more frequently than before. I tried to do an oil change when I first got it, but the drain bolt was stuck, so I had to use that sucker tool to get out what I could and replace it. The oil did not look healthy...at all. I am also noticing a light amount of smoke when I first get it going. Below is a link to the video of the cart being revved. The noise is at the very beginning of the rev and some at the tail end. Any ideas of what this is would be greatly appreciated and any ideas to the cost of fixing as well. OR, if it would be best to move it on.

aocracing

I haven’t noticed it getting louder as the engine gets warm but I might equate that to listening to the engine noise as a comparison for loudness. I do know that it seems to not go away and it consistently happens when it idles down and the throttle is pressed or at the end of a deceleration.

aocracing

Thank you everyone for the replies. I drove the cart around the neighborhood a couple of times to warm it up and see if it still made the noise and the video below is after it was well warmed, and it seems to still be making the noise. I also notice, and I’m not sure if it’s related, But it seems as if there is exhaust coming out from under the seat and into the “cab area.” Is that normal with these older gas golf carts or is that possibly related to the issue? I also noticed on two stops tonight at stop signs that it made a slight whoosh/belching backfire but it was not very loud. It was almost like a burp or semi silent gas passing. I plan on looking at the clutch tomorrow in the daylight to see if that could possibly be the issue, although I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking at just yet.