1986 ez go brake trouble

happygolfer

I have changed brake pads and cables and have adjusted the pedal but still no brakes . Where do I look next? please help

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Did you adjust the cables to take the slack out of them? There's a adjustment under the cart by the brake pedal.

happygolfer

i adjusted the cables as far as they would go until I was out of threads on the bolt. The hub is tight around the new pads , Im not getting much spring action when I push the brake pedal? Is there an adjustment inside the hub?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
On a 86 theres a rubber cover on top of the backing plate. Pull off the rubber cover and turn the square shaft clockwise to adjust the shoes outward. Turn it until it feels tight, then back off a couple clicks The adjuster is a cone shaped hex inside that spreads the top of the shoes.

You say the drums are tight on the shoes so I'm thinking you have the wrong shoes or cables. Or something isn't installed correctly...

happygolfer

thank you. I adjusted the pads as you said and backed of 1-2 turn . they feel tight now when the brake is applied but when I drive the cart and then brake , I have a tight hard push but the pads dont seem to grip enough. I am now thinking that maybe the hub /drum is worn down too much . ??? Is there a certain thickness needed??

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try this,

Loosen the cable adjustment up front so you have slack in both cables. Then adjust the rear adjusters like I posted above. Then adjust the cable adjustment up front to just take the slack out of the cables.

gornoman

Also, make sure the cables are moving back and forth through the sleeves effortlessly. They tend to dry out and corrode which causes the cables to bind.

happygolfer

thanks for the help.. I have it now. the brake pads were 1/4 inch short. The parts guy gave me the wrong ones. He is sorry ????? After 8 hours of frustration sorry made it all better. ya right... Thanks again you gave me alot of help

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad you got it sorted out.
thumbup.gif