1985 EZGO Starting Troubles

Wittedasp

I just traded a snowmobile I had for a 1985 EZGO cart, he said it would run for him but sometimes wouldn't charge, he said he had the generator tested and was good. I know nothing about carts to be honest. When I push the pedal there's nothing, I'm getting some power to the key... I bypassed the solenoid and it turned the motor over fine, I put on a new solenoid and still nothing, I'm not sure where to go next with this. I don't hear any clicking when I hold the pedal down either? Anyone have advice for someone who knows nothing lol!?

Phil Rogers

Cartaholic
Well sounds like your getting 12 volts to the solenoid so the connections at the battery are probably good. There is a fuse in the bottom of the F&R switch, but I've never seen one bad. Make sure your getting 12 volts in and out of the key switch. Below the key switch there is a peddle switch, kinda behind the drives right foot. Make sure both wires are connected to the switch and you got 12 volts in and out of it when the peddle is pushed.

classycarts

Cartaholic
Like Phil pointed out, check the pedal switch. Common on those switches for the wire connections to get corroded. Or the switch to stick closed and not open when the pedal is pushed down. See picture for location if you didn't find it yet.

ezgo-pedal-switch.jpg

Wittedasp

Okay, so on the new solenoid, I get 12v coming in from the battery, but nothing on at all on the other 3 posts coming out. Is there something that could cause that? Or is this $60 solenoid I bought junk? I'm not the most mechanical here.

Phil Rogers

Cartaholic
No I wouldn't call it junk yet. Some of the others can probably explain this better, but I'll give it a try. So you have two bigger connections and two smaller one. The one connected to the battery will have 12 volts to it. The other big one will get 12 volts to it only when the solenoid is energized.
The two smaller connection, one goes to ground and the other receives 12 volts from the peddle switch and will energize the solenoid. If your not getting 12volts to the smaller connection that is not grounded, then you will need to chase it back to see where your voltage stops. My guess would be at the peddle switch, but thats just a guess.

Wittedasp

Okay, I am understanding what your saying now, I'll check into that to see if I can find where I'm dead ending. I appreciate the responses!