1985 Electric won't GO

DerbyTracr

Need some input on a problem with our 1985 E-Z GO electric golf cart 36 Volt (6 batteries) manufacture code B2685, S/N 350576.

For a while we've had a little chatter sound while backing up or going forward if the accelerator pedal is slightly pushed down but goes away when pedal is fully depressed.

Speed is good for an older cart and the charge last about 4 days of use before we recharge it again (Have only run out of charge one time after 6 days of use)

Now the cart stops and wont go, but intermittently when accelerator pedal is pressed on (mostly no go at this point) there is a click which I now believe is the solenoid.

I've checked all the batteries and replace one that had a bad cell and checked all cables and replaced two of the cables and cleaned all batteries connections and cleaned them also.

I'm hoping that this is something that can be repaired by myself as I'm an old elevator mechanic and do have some mechanical stills but I need some input on this as I'm not experienced with the ins and outs of the electric golf carts.

If anyone can help, I send my thanks to you up front.

Regards, [email protected]

DerbyTracr

Need some more input on a problem with my 1985 E-Z GO electric golf cart 36 Volt (6 batteries) manufacture code B2685, S/N 350576. What kind of cart do I own, DCS or PDS, would this be a Resistor or what?????? I've checked all the batteries and replace one as earlier stated because of a bad cell. Checked all cables and replaced two and cleaned all batteries connections again. Every thing looks good. I’ve hydrometer tested all cells of batteries after they were filled with distilled water and recharged. All cells showed high on hydrometer. Checked batteries voltage and found total volts were 39 total. All 6 batteries were averaging about 6.3v to 6.5v, and the total when re-cabled and re-tested was 39.
With a brass wire brush I tried cleaning the four contacts on what looks as if it’s a board between the batteries, which is connected to the accelerator pedal linkage.Now the cart is back together but has some new of problems. I can press on the accelerator pedal and the cart will start to move then stop (For a while I had a little chatter sound while backing up or going forward if the accelerator pedal was slightly pushed down but that symptom is no longer evident), if I tickle the pedal a little the cart will backup and go as if nothing is wrong but when I release the throttle it continued to back up slowly. At that point I press the brake pedal and switch to forward (F&R). As I let off the brake the cart starts to move forward with out pressing the accelerator pedal. The cart will operate at this point but when I lift my foot from the accelerator pedal and the cart slows down it will still creep forward as it did in reverse.
When I turn off the key the cart still moves forward slowly. So I quickly set the brake and lift the seat and disconnect the power cables from the batteries to stop the circuit (with a few sparks from the cables). Is this a solenoid problem or do I have bigger problems?

Regards, DerbyTracr

DerbyTracr

Well thanks to those of you who took the time to give me advice:

After all the checking, cleaning, recharging and retesting. The problem was found and the last work was to replace a solenoid with a new one. The resistor coils were good, the wiper board was cleaned along with the contacts.

Finished this Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 and tested the 1985 EZGO Marathon and we went from "WON'T GO" to runs like a jewel.

Guess it's time to get cleaned up and take my sweet heart (wife of 53 years, NOT the cart) to the club house and have a swim to celebrate a happy day. The Golf Cart God have smiled on this Old man.

Thanks again to all that helped with advice and your experience.
Best Regards
DerbyTracr

S2MFH

Good lord I love a happy ending. All the best to you and the Miss.
thumbup.gif