1983 Yamaha G1 Golf Cart Solenoid Getting Hot

Kemper

I have a question about my 1983 Yamaha G1 gas golf cart. After running in forward for half hour engine stops running and forward solenoid is hot. Any ideas what is happening?
Thank you

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The solenoid will get warm because it's engaged as long as your foot is pressing the throttle. It could be over charging and causing the solenoid to get hot. Hook a volt meter on the battery and run the cart at half to full throttle and see how how the voltage goes. Are you using a golf cart solenoid?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The voltage at the battery should be around 13.8-14 volts when the engine is running at 3/4 to full throttle. When the engine stops running will it still turn over but not start?

Kemper

The solenoid does not click, engine will not turn over. I have to come home and reverse. I get a lot of laughs and looks. After Cooling it runs great again.

Kemper

No after running home in Reverse won't start in reverse either. It's the same problem in forward and reverse.

Kemper

My cart is at the campground. I plan on going soon. Would the next step be check the charging system?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would check the charging voltage just to rule it out as being a problem or not. If the solenoid is getting hot I would check the cable connections on the battery and solenoid and also make sure any grounds are clean and tight. Then drive the golf cart and if it quits running check to make sure it has spark right away as soon as the engine quits running.

Kemper

I cannot check the spark right away because it won't turn over solenoid is hot. It will turn over in reverse and run for awhile, then the same problem in reverse.

Kemper

I have brought the golf cart home now. Charging at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is about 14 maybe 14.2. Doesn't seem to be overcharging. What are some other possibilities? I am at a loss

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You need to check to see if it loses spark when it quits running. If it quits turning over when it gets hot it could be a problem with the starter.

Kemper

After a half an hour of run time in forward stop at a speed bump, won't restart in forward have to go home in reverse

Kemper

Does anyone have any ideas on my previous posts? After half hour of run time in forward, engine will not turn over in forward so can't check spark in forward. Engine will start in reverse so must still have spark. The golf cart runs for half then same problem in reverse. Voltage is around 14,14.2. After sitting for awhile it runs great again on short runs. When this happens, solenoid have voltage on battery side, key on, press pedal, voltage not coming back out to starter. Something is causing solenoids to get hot and fail.