1977 TaylorDunn T-Bird Restoration

jhockey2008

Starting my first restore on a 77 td tbird.Cart is very rough on the body but frame is good and the batts and motor are newer.Just needs alot of new sheetmetal and some tlc and some nice paint.I will add pics tomorrow.Cart is the only one I could find in my area for cheap.It will be alot of work but it will pass the winter away for me.I have just started stripping it down and checking all the mechanical.Will get it running nicely before I do all the body work.I guess I should have picked one in better shape to start off with but you can't learn anything that way.

jhockey2008

I guess I am the only one with a td on this site,or just the first one to admit it?Guess I will have this drivers club all to myself.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics.

I've had a few Taylor Dunn carts over the years but I haven't had any recently. Nate drops in now and then and he has at least one. They're definitely tough old carts. Post some pictures and keep us updated on the progress.

jhockey2008

Pics are posted and it looks like it is right hand drive but it is not ,it is just the way my phone takes pics for some reason.Will take progress pics with my digital cam.

BadToTheBone

I've got one just like it sitting out back under a tarp. I bought it a few years ago with intentions of restoring it with my brother-in-law but we never got around to it. One of these days I'll pull it out and see what i can do with it.

jhockey2008

Hopefully it is in better shape then mine,oh man it is rough.Good thing I like a challenge,the biggest challenge will be not spending alot of cash on it.I have all the time in the world but not all the cash.

BadToTheBone

Mine is in bad shape. The body has some major damage.
unsure.gif

jhockey2008

Well body work is the easy part I think anyway.My problems are with the controller and gear switch,I know nothing about this type of control.Give me a gas engine and tranny and no problem,but this electric stuff is just weird.I am learning as I go,my controller does not look to good and I don't want to convert to newer electronics because of the cost,and I would have no clue how anyway,I am not great with electrical.I would convert to gas but my trailer park only allows electric,and that is where my first project will probably end up unless I decide to sell.

flyinsparkey

no im not. the 3 wheeled truck i am turning into a 4wheeled model B truck and lift on 22" tires. the 4 wheeled cart is most likley going to get the wheels and axels taken for the other truck and then either sold or scraped. the 4 wheeled cart has a extended bed that would hold a sheet of 4x8' plywood. so it seems like a streched version of yours.

jhockey2008

Yeah now that I take a longer look it does look alot longer than mine.Mine is from a golf course,not a factory model.Are you using the gear and speed controller on it?Is the controller in good condition?My controller is pretty rough,looking to replace the copper strips and all the contacts.

flyinsparkey

it could of been a custom golf cart conversion i dont know. they used to have about 5 cinderblock wired to the front bumper to offset the 7' of deck behind the wheels.

im not sure about the gear. need to tear them both down and see which one is in better shape. and the controler i doubt it. my model B has its controler still but its a sweep type with the open resisitor coils. i may end up converting it to electronic control later on. or i may go a gas route, i have to see once i make it 4 wheeled/ lifted.

jhockey2008

Well good luck with your build.Mine is going very slow right now as the cold and snow are coming fast.I have it torn down so far and have just checked and put fresh oil in th rearend.I have also rebuilt the motor.I have to put it back together and see if it runs good before I start making it pretty.This one will take until late summer for me to finish.I have to fix up the controller and gear selector for sure next.

flyinsparkey

thanks, mine will be slow also lol. im a electrician by trade and work is SLOW! going to try do what i can thats free or low buck items like a few rust repairs and maybe work on pounding a few dents out. need to check my junkyard...er.... backyard LOL see what other parts i can use.

jhockey2008

I hear you there,I have been off work for 22 months with a injury,tomorrow is my first day back,should be fun.I am also doing the stuff that costs nearly nothing.I need to bang out some dents as well,not easy with thick diamond plate.

jhockey2008

Not much to report.It is all torn down and I just changed the rear end fluid.Next is new chaincase
fluid and putting it back to gether.Then I will test the motor and hope it runs good,it was just cleaned and I put in new terminal posts as they were just carraige bolts,replaced them with brass posts.If it runs nice I will then start fabing up some lights and a stereo,and stripping the old paint.It will be slow as it is getting cold up here and the snow is starting to fly.Will update with pics soon.

coaldale

Just getting started on my TB, I noticed the backend on mine is straight accross and the club rack holds the bag laying down sticking out on either side. Is this unique or just the way they were made for a few years, also is a belt drive.