1977 Marketeer with Overdrive Rebuild

I am also rebuilding an old 1977 Marketeer. I have an HMK model 438 with overdrive. The overdrive is not on any wiring diagrams so I have my hands full. It is a fun project tho - I have restored an old club car and outfitted it with a solar panel so I never have to recharge it and I drive it to work and back everyday. I am replacing all the old solenoids and diodes as it had a couple of bad ones and tended to start with a jerk and go right to full speed when the pedal was half way down! Anyway, I recommend solar panels as a way to keep the batteries in good shape. Good luck on your project cart!

meltravis

patricktheturtle - Here is a wiring diagram that I drew up from my '77 model 438. The top solenoid is your overdrive solenoid. The overdrive should only be used at full throttle, otherwise , theres a big chance you could burn up your motor. This configuration is called a "shunt". I don't know the proper terminology, but it some how connects all the fields in your motor, to get the maximum revolutions. Maybe someone else can explain it better for me.
Golf Cart Wiring Diagrams