1977 Marathon full out

Marathon1977

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have just purchased a 1977 Marathon EZGO with a Robin EC25DS 244cc motor. I am new to golf carts, but I am pretty mechanically inclined. Anyway, the cart runs great at full speed. In fact, it's probably one of the fastest carts I have ever been on. The problem lies in when I try and run slower than full speed. The cart surges and I find myself tapping the pedal. It will not run smooth at lower speeds at all. Could this just be a carburetor adjustment, or is there something I don't know about these things? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thank you.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

What does the cart do at slower speeds? It's possible it could just need the throttle cable adjusted.

Marathon1977

At slower speeds the cart surges, like the motor is engaging then disengaging. It doesn't want to run slower than full speed. I will check the linkage, but the motor does not run at full speed until the pedal is pushed 3/4 the way down. At 1/3 - 3/4 the way down the cart surges and will not maintain a constant speed. Thanks for your help on this.

junglejoe39

Im having the exact same problem with a cart I just purchased. I noticed there seem to be 2 sets of points under the flywheel cover. Im thinking that 1 set is for forward and the other for Reverse. Mine seems to run better in reverse so Im thinking 1 set of points. If I find this to be true Ill let you know