1973 Club Car Vanguard Sport Coupe

Sport Coupe 73'

I have found out very little. From what info I have found, 118 were sold. My serial number is R91...assuming mine is 91 out of 118.

Any help would be much appreciated.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
That's a very nice Vanguard Sport Coupe you have there. It was sold by the Sebring-Vanguard Company. What it's worth is hard to say but I can tall you this there's not many around that are as clean as yours.
I've seen them in rough shape sell from $200-$1000 but yours is a lot nicer. If it runs good and doesn't have any issues and you find the right guy I'd say it's worth at least $3000-$5000, possibly more to someone who really wants it.

Here's some information I found about Vanguard's:

Inspired by Club Car's golf cart design and partly in response to the 1970s fuel crisis, a company called Sebring-Vanguard produced its first electric vehicle, the Vanguard Coupe (sometimes referred to as the EV Coupe), in 1974. Company founder and President Robert G. Beaumont working with designer Jim Muir, came up with the CitiCar after this earlier EV Coupe was not an immediate success. This second attempt was still based on a lot of the Club Car's mechanical features, though.

Produced in its plant in Sebring, Florida, the CitiCar was a small wedge-shaped electric vehicle. Early versions had no extra features and can be considered an experiment in minimalist automotive design; it was as basic a people mover as could be bought at the time. By 1976, enough CitiCars were produced to promote Sebring-Vanguard to the position of being the U.S. #6 auto manufacturer after General_Motors, Ford, Chrysler, American Motors Corporation and Checker Motors Corporation but ahead of Excalibur and Avanti Motors. Production of the CitiCar continued until 1977 with about 2,300 CitiCars produced.

Commuter Vehicles, Inc. purchased the CitiCar design, and renamed the vehicle Comuta-Car. Production of this upgraded version began in 1979 and Commuter Vehicles, Inc. produced an estimated 2,144 Comuta-Cars and Vans. At about 4,444 total C-Cars in all its variants produced it held the record for most road-legal Post War electric cars made in the United States, until the Tesla Model S greatly exceeded that number in 2013

Kashmir

Hot rod, you almost have it right.
What the OP has IS in fact built by Club Car.
It's a Caroche and CC made them in '73 for Vanguard. Both logos appear on the '73's.
The '74 you are referring to was built by Sebring Vanguard on the Caroche platform.
It actually looks quite different than the '73's.
Sebring Vanguard continued to build these on the CC platform for several years working closely with CC (CC supplied the frames and drive systems)
A great car and hard to find. Some say fifty prototypes were built while others claim up to 150. Guess no one really knows tha exact number.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I read the article a few days ago and it says the cart in the article was built by Robert Sebring of the Vanguard Company. The article is dated February 28, 1973 so I took it the cart was built by the Vanguard Company and I didn't see any mention of Club Car in the article. I've owned many Caroches but not with a top or doors like that one. Either way it's a nice cart.

Kashmir

Go here and you will see a picture of the cart, hold your mouse over it and it explains that CC built prototypes for the CitiCar with / for Beaumont.
The Trib article says they were built in Augusta, but doesn't name Club Car.

History | Club Car

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I stand corrected. If you click that picture it gives some information:
Working with designer Bob Beaumont, Club Car builds 50 prototypes for the first street-legal vehicle, the Vanguard Citi Car. Beaumont then moves production to Sebring, Florida.

I guess I can move this thread to the Club Car Section of the forum. :)

Kashmir

It's an awesome car...wish I would've found it before my buddy did!
He paid $300 and it's complete. Not as nice looking at the OP's....yet!

Aflyer

Sport Coupe 73,
Hi, your EV is very nice. mine is very rough, it has been sitting around outside unloved for 6-8 years. I have found a bunch of sales literature, but no service manual, wiring diagram etc.
Thanks to Kashmir for hooking us up.
My brother in law had told me there was a post on Cartaholics, but I had some trouble getting setup with an id. It works now, thanks to the staff.
Mine is R95, as previously posted.
Here is a link to some Sales information available on eBay. 1974 Sebring Vanguard Electric Vehicle CitiCar Sport Coupe Dealer Sales Kit | eBay
Aflyer

Aflyer

HotRodCarts,
Thank you for the wiring diagram, I have found a couple for club cars. This cart has 5 solenoids, and 3 resisters.

The big problem, is a wiring diagram for the dash, and all the lights and switches, it even has a brake warning light sender on the master cylinder. There is enough damn wire in that thing to run a small airplane, LOL
Aflyer

Aflyer

Sport Coupe 73,
Can you post some pictures of the inside of your car? Love to see details of the dash, the seats, and even the wiring under the dash if you can.

I like HotRadCarts thoughts on value. The article I read sid they only made 50 of them, but that doesn't really jive with our Vin #'s.

Aflyer

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I have a stack of old Club Car Manuals and wiring diagrams at the shop. I'll dig through them tomorrow and let you know if I can find anything specifically for this model.