1972 Harley Davidson Model D Parts

Isaac

So I bought this 1972 Harley Davidson model D, 2-cycle gas golf cart for $650. Little did I know how difficult it would be to find some of the parts! After discovering the rarity of parts available, I will likely just finish getting it tuned up with the parts that I can find, and then sell it to someone with a passion for these vintage carts……or trade it for a gas cart that still has available parts.

26A9258B-78D2-40B7-939E-93EB9A675347.jpegE5811FF7-EB8D-4942-B5DE-1146DA0CCD9A.jpeg7A5FCABE-C2E9-4E86-84AE-DFF30043DE31.jpegB92C7ADB-32B6-4B2A-BD19-201F80406CFB.jpeg
E2DD1120-763A-4AE5-AAEF-C1B624CE7BE5.jpeg
E2DD1120-763A-4AE5-AAEF-C1B624CE7BE5.jpeg

1) Secondary/driven clutch assembly (or just the fixed sheave portion of the clutch. The previous owner must have run over a stump or something, to break such a chunk off.B92C7ADB-32B6-4B2A-BD19-201F80406CFB.jpeg

2) Original front hub and wheel assembly. The previous owner had mounted a motorcycle wheel in place of the stock wheel. It appears that the fork and axle are original, so I should only need a hub (with bearing intact) and the correct wheel.E5811FF7-EB8D-4942-B5DE-1146DA0CCD9A.jpeg7A5FCABE-C2E9-4E86-84AE-DFF30043DE31.jpeg

3) Original style steering bar instead of the motorcycle handle bars that the previous owner installed.26A9258B-78D2-40B7-939E-93EB9A675347.jpeg

Thank you for viewing my thread. Any help would be appreciated. Below are some links to videos of the Harley golf cart on my YouTube channel.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Isaac

Thanks for the reply. 😄
I have spent days searching through stock at all the known vintage cart parts suppliers (even the place you suggested), along with searching eBay, and the parts I need are either not available or they are just too darn expensive for my budget. I have been on the phone with a “good ol’ boy” down in Alabama, who owns a salvage yard that usually keeps a stock of golf carts. He has an ‘83 H.D. that might have a front end assembly which can swap to my cart. He is working on tearing it down as we speak. His son supposedly has a few clutch parts as well. He’s gonna get back with me Friday. Thanks again! 😎

Sippi

I have a 69 Harley Davidson trike I thought I was getting deal of life time,cause of it being a harley.Little did I realize,Vintage has been huge help to me. Thanks HotRodCarts,by the waY. Also Mountain Top golfcarts. They are out of North Carolina.
I have to saY though I like the handle bars In place of the tiller handle.How does it ride?

Isaac

Sippi,
It rides really well with having that larger motorcycle wheel in the front fork. I just don’t think it will sell for as high a price in its current form. It seems that the people who are passionate about owning these vintage H.D. golf carts stick pretty close to the original look. If they do have custom alterations, the mods that they have seem to coordinate with the original styling to some extent. That may not be accurate of every H.D. golf cart (HDGC) enthusiast, but it’s just what I have observed.
So you like the handle bars? If I find a stock style steering bar to go on my ‘72 HDGC, I could send them to you, if you pay the shipping. 😉
One other thing that isn’t original on my cart is the exhaust. Right off the manifold, it connects to a flex pipe which bends down under the frame and connects to a motorcycle type muffler. Since I have not been near a HDGC with a stock muffler, I have no way to compare the dB noise level. My cart seems very loud when revved. Seeing the styling which the previous owner went for, I would conclude that they wanted it louder. It’s just a guess. LOL 😆
Do you (or anyone else reading this thread) have any experience with any methods of quieting these thumpers? Please share if you do.
As for the clutch pursuit, I haven’t yet received the clutch photos from the salvage yard in AL. While waiting on that, I began thinking of how I might go about repairing the broken sheave that I have……if I could never get my hands on a used one. I present my thoughts about such a repair in part 4 of my video series about the HDGC. Here is the link:

Isaac

While waiting to confirm the secondary clutch sheave, I decided to try quieting the exhaust on the ‘72 HDGC. I went to a local farm and rural store up the road and found a compact turbo type muffler to try out. Here is the link to that video:

Sippi

Down here where I'm at, ms/tn/al Stateline, there has been a couple 3wheeled I've saw for sale. One was 2 hundred for it and it was in pitiful shape nor did it run. It did have the clutches ,muffler, and rest of the parts to b comple. Now I don't kno if it ever run. Other one I found was like 4 hours north which is a drive but it was electric, I ment to ask on here to see if the electric clutches were same or would work on gas cars and never got to it. Which I have a preditor motor new to install I. Anything. I have 89 ezgo I was going put it in and come find out that's bad year to do so. I have muffler from it but urs lays down n this one stands up beside the 3pg motor

Isaac

Sippi,
I am very appreciative that you would take time to tell me about those available carts. I live in Illinois, unfortunately. [Unfortunate in more ways than one, if you get my drift. I so hate IL politics.] I’m guessing the freight shipping on the $200 cart you mentioned might cost me $400 in shipping? Maybe more? So it might be the same overall cost as what I paid for mine. It’s not a bad thought. I’m currently waiting my turn for a tear-down part at carts4parts.com They’re gonna send me the front-end assembly off of an ‘83 HD. It’s got an actual steering wheel arrangement, which will be a very cool upgrade from the current handle bar. Thanks for the info, Sippi. Have a great day!