1960 Tripco Tee Birdie w Duramatic transaxle model 20 slippage

John W

Recently purchased at an estate auction a 1960's Tripco Tee Birdee. Got the Kohler gas engine running, but when I try to move forward it tries to move but won't. I'm guessing something is slipping in the centrifical clutch. Any idea what needs adjusted/replaced? Anyone have a diagram of the transaxle? Duramatic transaxle model 20B serial #4733.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 18

John W

Recently purchased at an estate auction a 1960's Tripco Tee Birdee. Got the Kohler gas engine running, but when I try to move forward it tries to move but won't. I'm guessing something is slipping in the centrifical clutch. Any idea what needs adjusted/replaced? Anyone have a diagram of the transaxle? Duramatic transaxle model 20B serial #4733.

Thanks

Snosnake

Hi.
I have a Rupp Karrier cart and it has the same
Duramatic transaxle as your golf cart has. Have you found any info on the trans axle? I am having
issues with mine.
Thanks Rick 507-533-8803

ARZeman

Hello all,
I am in the process of restoring a Capri Golf Cart (Late 50s early 60s) and it also has a Duramatic Model 20E Transaxle. We knew before beginning the restoration that there was a problem with the Transaxle which resembled a problem like you would see in a differential. We split the case and examined the gears and all three conical diff gears that mate with the axles are stripped and destroyed. I have found absolutely zero information on the Capri or the Transaxle on the internet. If anyone has anything, it would be greatly appreciated.
At this time I'm just thinking of swapping the entire drivetrain, as I do not have the tools to reproduce these gears and having them made would be $5000+...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd check with Vintagegolfcartparts.com and see if they have any NOS parts for it. Or you could try parts4carts.com to see if they have any used parts. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

ARZeman

Found nothing yet! Called both places and neither had heard of this set up. Anyone ever have a place manufacture gears custom for any project?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
You would be far better off swapping it out, this is a gas cart yes? I and others here have had gear sets made here in the past.

Apache Gear Inc
5220 West Luke Avenue 6
Glendale, AZ 85301

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I know a while back there was a company making different gear ratios for Club Car and EZGO golf carts but can't remember the company name. In a one off situation like yours I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. :twocents:
Someone else on the forum may have some information for you though.

ARZeman

Yep its a gas cart. Kohler 4 cycle. I'm pretty sure a swap is going to be the route to move forward. I'll keep working on all other aspects of this full restoration and whenever I make a decision on the powertrain I'll do that when I come to it.

ARZeman

I'll start a thread once I get more work done haha, I've only don the complete tear down now. Who knows how long this project is gonna take so I don't want a thread to drag on for years.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
You would be surprised how many build thread's here drag forever, i have a few:yes::rotflmao:
Look forward to seeing the progress:hattip: