1950 Mercury Hurricane outboard

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
got a Friend, believe it or not'! that owns a recycling center and calls me when good stuff lands at his place. this is a 1950 Merc Super 10 Hurricane that they used on racing hydroplanes, turns over and has nice compression yet. looks like there sellin' fer a $1,000 running and 2,500 restored, thinkin' if i only 1/2 finish it
i'll make a good buck on her. had to give him $10.00 for it so we'll see.

JRay

Cartaholic
That type of racing was real popular back in the day, Have seen a lot of old photos taken on the lake here. They were all running merc's too.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i'm thinkin' some of them Young fellas back then are now wealthy old guys wantin' to relive the past. just gotta love them wealthy guys

JRay

Cartaholic
What was the outcome of the merc? You still have it? Just curious is all. I like all those old outboards.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
it sold fer 225.00
alot of lookers but no wallets, should of just kept it but keep runnin' outta room

JRay

Cartaholic
Me thinks they got a bargain. Neighbor on Houghton lake showed me some pictures of small hydroplane racing from in the 50's, father and grandfather both ran boats and owned the local saloon. It was a very big deal to go to watch the locals race on sunday. Probably more fun to go to the saloon afterwards and listen to the good ole boys.