18 Horse Craftsman/Briggs EZGO Swap?

dirt

Great Forum!

Has anyone done this swap? The engine I have came off a lawn mower and has a side shaft.......will my old shaft fit it or do I need a new one?

Is there any way to keep the original starter so it starts when you push the gas pedal?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

We need to know what size shaft the Briggs 18 HP has. I know a lot of guys are using Briggs and Stratton engines in their golf carts.

dirt

I'm going to look at it later today.........the diameter on the end is what you need to know?

Someone said on another forum that some had straight shafts and some were tapered.....they said the tampered ones you can't find a clutch for....is this right?

I'm not sure if I can tell if the shaft is tapered or straight because the orignal clutch is still on it and I haven't bought the engine yet....I doubt the guy will want me to disassemble the engine before I buy it.

dirt

I went to look and like I thought the owner didn't want me taking anything apart.........but he did give me the owners manual....the engine is a 422437, type 0721-01..........does that help....by the pics in the manual, the shaft is straight and what I found on the net, it should have a 1" shaft.........any help at all?

Not sure what year this things is.....how can I tell?

The mower was a GT 18 Twin Garden Tractor--Model number 917.255910

How much is the engine worth in your opinion if you were looking to buy one?

dirt

So this engine should work in place of the original engine?

I found a motor mounting plate/assembly for Briggs engines in an EZGO.....I hope it will work for the engine. It at mounting plate/assembly

Will I have to buy an after market clutch? Where do I look for that if I need one?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I believe you'll need a new clutch. Talk to Frank at Alpha Carts or Tom at Cart Parts Plus.

That mount is for a TXT. Is that what you have?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Frank from Alpha Carts drops in here every day. He's built quite a few Big Block Workhorses, see what he says...

WALKNTALL

The Workhorse is my favorite. Room to put lots of goodies... What year is your Horse? Does it have a lift kit? A txt v-twin mount will fit a Workhorse 1200.

Frank

dirt

2000 or 2001....I'd have to look at the tag again..........no lift yet but I'm going with a 5" I think.

What do you think about the engine I'm wanting to put in it.....?

What clutch do I need if the original won't work?

How much is the engine worth......just a ballpark figure.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the 422437 engine a opposed twin! it does have a 1" shaft but i don't think no one makes a mount for it, the mounts that i know of are for the v-twins.

dirt

I need to know if this engine will work........if not, I won't buy it and start looking at other options.

WALKNTALL

Don't buy an opposed twin unless its your last option, save your sawbucks for a v-twin. It probably wouldn't run much better than an stock Workhorse motor.

Frank