06 engine into a 94

scottm1

Hello everyone. This my first post, and I know nothing about golf carts....which is why I have came here. The reason I have came to you guys is for my sudden need for golf cart information and education. I have found a 94 EZGO TXT with a locked up engine that I am interested in buying to fix up for myself. A friend of mine has the engine he took out of his 06 EZGO TXT when he installed a 23 hp Briggs engine. There was nothing wrong with the original engine he took out except it didn't have enough power for his liking. I was wondering if this 06 engine can be used in the 94 model, or were there drastic changes made that makes this not a reasonable task? If it can be, is it a drop right in installation, or will I have to do any modifications? I am mechanically inclined, and also a fabricator, so if it can be done, I can do it. I just need to know if it can before I bother to buy the cart and the engine. Also, what is the complete engine out of the 06 worth, or what should I have to pay him for it? Thanks in advance...Scott

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome Scott
tip.gif

the newer MCI 295 will bolt in the 94 but you need to use the 06 muffler and ignitor, you also will need to rewire the ignitor into your harness. ez go sells a adapter harness if thats easier for ya
a 06 engine with good compression sells for between 5 to 800.00

scottm1

Thanks Nubs, that was the info I was looking for. The engine my friend has is complete with everything he took out when he put in the Briggs conversion, so I am certain it has the muffler and ignitor as these items would incompatable with the Briggs engine. I know the original take out engine is a good one because he bought the cart brand new and has only been used by him (adult) to ride around the campgrounds on the weekends in the summertime. He told me I could have everything he took out including the mount bracket for $500.00. I felt this was a good deal and should go for it if you experienced cart guys agree.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
a very good deal! and you know its history, it don't get better than that
tip.gif

if your looking to sell your old engine let me know, i like cores
naughty.gif

scottm1

I now have the cart and 06 engine assy in my posession, but I did not get the ignitor with it. Evidently, it remained in place and is used with the Briggs engine. Where is he best place to get the ignitor and the adapter harness, and what is the cost?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
cool.. but i'm a bit confused, the briggs and ez go engines have completely different ignition systems are not compatible. anyway, the ignitor is about 65.00 and the wiring is another 25.00 or so. this is where i buy my ez go parts! Eric is a great guy and his prices are very fair
usaflag1.gif

scottm1

Well, maybe we are mistaken on the ignitor. I just assumed it was being used with Briggs because everything that wasn't needed was supposed to be in a box, but the ignitor wasn't in that box. Maybe it is still bolted in his engine compartment and is not acually doing anything. His cart was at the lake, so we couldn't look to see if it was still in there. He did the conversion over the winter and didn't remember the ignitor. I will be checking that out. In addition to the engine assy, I got the mount bracket, skid plate, drive belt, accel cable, choke cable, and of course still bolted to the engine is the starter, carb, air cleaner assy.etc....Is the ignitor supposed to be bolted to the engine and I have just overlooked it?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
it is bolted to the cart but i'm sure where on that year, the ez go jumper wire for the mci to the older carts. part number 74373go1

scottm1

Nubs, we found the ignitor you spoke about under the black cover next to the battery on the 06 the engine came out of. I have it and the wiring harness that plugs into it. Do I still need an additional adapter harness you spoke of in the earlier post, or is this harness all I need?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
if the wiring harness includes the plug for the coil you can just wire it into your cart without the adapter.

scottm1

Hi Nubs, Hopefully I will have it running this weekend. I only get to work on it a little bit at night. I am going to work on it again tonight in a few minutes. Last night I took off the canopy, seat, and rear body. Tonight I am going to pressure wash off everything and get the old greasy mess cleaned up so taking out the bad engine won't be quite so nasty. The replacement engine is nice and clean. Like I said, I know the previous owner and he was very critical about good maintenance and taking good care of his stuff. That is the reason I jumped on this engine and all of the related parts for $500.00. However, I may have a couple more questions during this install before I get it running. Again, I have never worked on a golf cart before, so I'm sure I will run into something I won't be able to figure out on my own. Wish me luck

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
all the real players in golf cart repair and modification are here at Cartaholics, and always willing to help
tip.gif
usaflag1.gif

scottm1

Well I got the cart running finally after having to put other priority's ahead of it. Now I am having a problem figuring out where the accelerator cable that goes from the carb to the rear axle attaches on the axle. I have a service manual for an 07 model, but the photo in the manual is different than my 94 model. The original cable from the 94 engine was not there when I got it. I have the one off of the 06 engine, but I think it may be different. I have not been able to find a manual for a 94 model to show me how it hooks up. Anybody have any firsthand knowledge what I am talking about here, and what I need?
Thanks

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
is this what your looking for? crappy picture but i can't get my scanner to work
rolleyes.gif

i should have all the linkage and brackets if needed

scottm1

Thanks again Nubs, that picture is exactly what I needed. The photo I found was for a new mdel and showed the cable coming from behind the rear axle and attaching the the governor arm, but my 94 is not made that way. Your photo shows the cable attaching from the front. I may have to get a a cable for a 94 as it appears the 06 cable may be way too long since it should go around from behind the axle. Oh, and as soon as I get everything done and confident I don't need anything else off of the old engine, I will get with you on it as you have expressed your interest in it. You have first dibbs on it for the help you have provided to me
tip.gif