03 48v? club car

stevebrock

Inherited a 2003 club car. I believe it is 48v, but am not sure. The guy that gave it to me told me that he replaced the solenoid and took apart the f/r switch thinking that those were the problem. I think I got the f/r switch back together, I get a buzzing noise when in reverse. I also replaced a battery cable that was in bad shape. However I am still going no where as the cart won't move. Please help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

First thing to check would be the individual battery voltage. You can check them without unhooking any cables. Check the batteries and post your results and we'll go from there.

stevebrock

get 8.7 volts on 4 of the batteries, the other get -8.7. Is this common? I have checked all the cables and cleaned all the terminals with steel wool.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If golf cart batteries go completely dead the polarity can reverse on the battery(s) due to being wired positive to negative...

If your getting a - 8.7 volts and you have the meter hooked up correctly the polarity has reversed on that battery. Unhook the cables from the battery with the negative reading and check it again. If you still get a negative reading you can discharge the battery completely, use a 12 volt light to discharge the battery. After the battery is completely discharged you can use a 12 volt charger to charge that battery with the correct polarity, add distilled water first if needed. Leave the battery on the 12 volt charger about 1 hour. If the battery starts to get hot shut the charger off...
Once the battery has close to 8 volts with the correct polarity hook the cables back up making sure ALL batteries are wired positive to negative. Check all the batteries and add distilled water if needed and charge the cart with the carts charger until it shuts off.

stevebrock

but would this cause a working golf cart (it was running when it quit) to just stop moving?

Thanks for the help!

stevebrock

Checked batteries today and now there are no negatives. I must have been doing something wrong when I checked them yesterday.

stevebrock

no I do not get any click from the solenoid. But the solenoid was replaced however I am not sure if the battery was disconnected when it was installed. I am also not sure if having the battery connected would cause a problem when reinstalling the solenoid.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Seeing how the solenoid isn't engaging I would check the key switch, check the micro switches, check for voltage at all posts on the solenoid with and without pressing the go pedal. Also theres a wiring diagram in the club car resource forum here. Take a look at that and double check that the solenoid is wired correctly.

stevebrock

Ok Where's the key switch (do you mean the key in the dashboard?)

What other micro switches? and how to check?

I get 2v when i check voltage across the solenoid, no change when I try pressing the pedal. Solenoid appears to be wired correctly.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes the key switch in the dash.

Is the 2 volts at the solenoid on the small or large posts?

You can check the micro switches with a ohm meter.

Take a look at the wiring diagram. It will show you the micro switches.